Summary: In light of the things happening in our world, what does the future hold? Where are we headed? When will the world end?
Now Playing: “Back To The Future!”
1 Thes. 4:13-18
Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. 14We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15According to the Lord’s own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18Therefore encourage each other with these words.
"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.
"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
Did you ever read signs and get amused at how they are worded at times? Sometimes the simple can become so complex and yet humorous. Here’s a sampling of some sayings or words that were sent to me recently:
• Bargain basement upstairs.
• Would the person who took the step ladder yesterday please bring it back or further steps will be taken.
• After tea break staff should empty the teapot and stand upside down on the draining board.
• This is the gate of heaven. enter ye all by this door. (This door is kept locked because of the draft. Please use side door.)
• We exchange anything - bicycles, washing machines etc. Why not bring your wife along and get a wonderful bargain?
• The town hall is closed until opening. It will remain closed after being opened. Open tomorrow.
• Out to lunch: if not back by five, out for dinner also.
• Slow cattle crossing. no overtaking for the next 100 yrs.
• Due to increasing problems with letter louts and vandals we must ask anyone with relatives buried in the graveyard to do their best to keep them in order.
• Anyone leaving their garments here for more than 30 days will be disposed of.
• Elephants please stay in your car.
• For anyone who has children and doesn’t know it, there is a day care on the first floor.
• The farmer allows walkers to cross the field for free, but the bull charges.
• If you cannot read, this leaflet will tell you how to get lessons.
• We can repair anything. (Please knock hard on the door - the bell doesn’t work)
• Beware! I shoot every tenth trespasser and the ninth one has just left.
• Tattoos while you wait.
They, too, were looking for a sign. They were just like you and me. The followers of Jesus Christ were sitting with Jesus one day on the Mount of Olives and they asked some very important questions:
“Tell us, when will this happen (end of age) and what will be sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
I read sometime ago about the President of a large corporation who was dismissed by the Board of Directors with the following explanation:
“He was so involved with detail that he missed the big picture. He could see today, but not tomorrow.”
Could that happen to us? I think so! We can become so involved and harried over life’s daily grind that we lost sight of the big picture. I think this especially true regarding the future. Is the Future a thing of the Past, even to Christians? Could it be that we are so busy that we could miss the next greatest event on God’s calendar?
I read recently about a university professor who was riding in his ca and saw a bumper sticker that said, ’Jesus is coming. Look busy!’"
When we examine the Scriptures and compare them with what is happening in our world today, we cannot help but think of the Future. What will the future hold? Where are we headed? Will this be the dawning of the day when Jesus returns?