Summary: ❶. Ask for the Old Paths ❷. What Are the Old Path ❸. Why Should We Follow the Old Paths?
- U.S. Route 66, former US semi-transcontinental highway (mostly flat)
- One of the original U.S. Highways
- Known as the "Main Street of America" or the "Mother Road"
- Almost 2500 miles long
- Ran from Chicago to LA
- Path of the migrants who went west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930’s
- Became the 1st highway to be completely paved in 1938
- Existed from 1926-1985
- Through 7 States - Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, & California
- Removed from the highway system in 1985 as it was no longer relevant because of Interstates
- This is not the cast for the soul
Proverbs 14:12KJV – Prov. 16:25
12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Matthew 7:13-14The Message
13–14 “Don’t look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don’t fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life……
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
28 In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.
13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
❶. Ask for the Old Paths
- 5 actions – Stand, See, Ask, Walk, Rest
- At the crossroads you have to make a decision
- Look around
- Ask for directions
- Roads we walk suggest habits, routine
- What is continually on the heart
- Today’s routes offer pleasure, wealth, fame & power
- These routes deceive & destroy
- None offer to all “life abundant”
- What is the best way?
- The tried & true route will be found faithful
❷. What Are the Old Paths
- Ch 5 is full of the lost paths, v. 1,3-5, 7, 11-13
- Who advocates the paths
- Jer. 6:8 – Be thou instructed
- Jer. 6:10 Behold the word
- Jer. 6:17 Harken
- Jer. 6:18 Hear
- Jer. 6:19 – “Hear”, “my words” “my law”
- Similar verse to v.16 is Jer. 18:15
15 Because my people hath forgotten me, they have burned incense to vanity, and they have caused them to stumble in their ways from the ancient paths, to walk in paths, in a way not cast up;
- The old paths were the routes of Able, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Elijah the prophets & apostles
- They listened. Believed, & accepted God’s word