Summary: An object lesson with scriptural points - 10 things for the checklist as you hit the highway of life. Link inc. to formatted text and audio version.
On the Road Again
[10 things for the checklist]
A. Jesus often used object lessons.
B. Behold a Sower went forth to sow.
C. What man of you having 100 sheep.
D. They help to impress spiritual lessons.
E. Today let’s use a familiar object-our cars.
I. STEER STRAIGHT.
A. Steering determines success and safety.
B. When driving, important not to swerve.
C. The way to heaven is straight and narrow.
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
2. Devil lures us- must say no.
3. Lk. 9:62 "No man having put his hand…” [veer!]
- God instructs us not to turn-
Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
Measure your tread, don’t let wheel-wells get snow packed.
II. DON’T SLIP CLUTCH.
A. Clutch connects motor to drive wheels.
Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
C. Deut. 4:9
Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons;
- Slipping clutch gradual- spiritual slipping is also gradual.
- III. KEEP BATTERY CHARGED
A. Car battery must be continually charged.
B. If alternator goes out- short time you have trouble.
C. Our spiritual batteries must be continually re-charged.
- Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:  But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
- 2. 2 Cor. 4:16
- For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
- 3. Col. 3:10
- And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
- 4. Psalm 51:10
- Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
IV. GOT FUEL?
A. The most beautiful and powerful car in the world is helpless without fuel.
B. Must have spiritual strength to do great things.
C. Samson was strong because of fuel from God- Judges 16:20 And she said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" So he awoke from his sleep, and said, "I will go out as before, at other times, and shake myself free!" But he did not know that the Lord had departed from him..
D. Paul’s fuel was Christ- Phil. 4:13 "I can do all ..."
1. 1 Tim. 1:12
And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
2. 2 Cor. 9:8
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound [high octane!] to every good work: