Summary: A call to get busy for Jesus
On the Road Again
Introduction: Willy Nelson and his #1 hit “On the Road Again, going places that I’ve never been, seeing things I may never see again. I can’t wait to get on the road again.” Today I want to speak about getting on the road again for Jesus. These men were trying to get used to a life without Jesus. That’s not what we should be doing!
A. We are to gather together to:
1. Improve our knowledge
2. Refresh our memory.
3. Stir our emotions – It revives us. ILLUS p. 672 -Vince Havner – Revival is the church remembering, the church repenting, the church repeating.
4. Where 2 or more are gathered, Jesus makes 3! – ILLUS p. 705 – John Nicholson, Samuel Hill, William Knights and the Gideons. 1898
B. Our journey is life, we seek to know Jesus better.
1. We get to know Him by talking to Him (prayer)
2. These men were not physically lost, they were spiritually lost.
3. Jesus found them and showed them they needed to be rededicated to Him.
C. Jesus waited on their invitation to join them. He did not force Himself into their fellowship.
1. In their free will, they could have invited Him in or allowed Him to go. We are all busy, but are we too busy for Jesus?
2. “We HAD hoped…” We are often sad, but we should rejoice! For He is with us always (Matt 28:20) “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
A. Jesus makes sense of things – He “draws near” during times of trouble.
1. In His time.
2. In His way.
4. He makes sense of the most horrid tragedies.
B. Christ fully reveals Himself through the Scriptures.
1. Not until we understand His Word do we understand our need for Him.
2. We are foolish if we refuse to believe.
A. When we recognize Him, He no longer needs to be on the outside, He lives in our hearts.
1. They were not discouraged by His disappearance for He was ALIVE TO THEM!
B. First we must know Jesus, which straightens us out, then we can share Him with others and He can straighten them out.
C. The pattern which began with the 10 Commandments continues:
1. Jesus said, Love God, Love Your Neighbor.
D. Like these men, we are compelled to tell others about Him
1. The Christian message is not really ours until we have shared it.
2. (Matt 28:19-20) – “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always until the very end of the age.”
Conclusion: Have you gotten used to a life without Jesus? Don’t let this happen to you. Rededicate your life to Him, let Him change you.