Summary: This sermon tends to illustrate the difficulty in becoming completely obedient to the command of total discipleship.
Scripture: Acts 1:1 – 14
Title: “On The Way To The Upper Room”
Introduction: This small group of men that had followed Jesus around for about three years stood and watched as Jesus disappeared up out of their sight as He began His trip back to heaven and the right hand of the Father.
RINGING in their ears was the words, “Don’t leave Jerusalem, stay here until you are endowed with My power.”
What CHOICES did they have except to OBEY and take their chances.
Now they were ALONE in a very hostile world, a would that was out to destroy anyone who allied themselves with this man they called “Jesus.”
The church-world in which they had grown up had now become their “Bounty Hunters” they had a price on their heads!
We can only SPECULATE on the things that went through the minds of those disciples on their way to the upper room during the time AFTER Jesus went back to heaven.
A tremendous amount of things depended on the disciples following through on what Jesus had told them to do.
The total existence of the Church rested on the shoulders of these disciples.
Fortunately, that small band of people found their way to an upper room and began the process of obedience.
Jesus had very thoroughly COMMUNICATED His message to them so that they KNEW exactly what He wanted them to do.
COMMUNICATION is a must for “Success!”
· I must have communication here as Pastor to succeed!
Jesus had left His disciples with a COMMAND: "And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven." Luke 24:49 NLT
· This was not a suggestion! – This was a Command!
Jesus had left His disciples with a COMMISSION: “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and (ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
· Power for SERVICE! – Not just for FEELING!
Jesus had left His disciples with an EXAMPLE: “And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:” John 20:30 KJV
· “During the forty days after his crucifixion, he appeared to the apostles from time to time and proved to them in many ways that he was actually alive. On these occasions he talked to them about the Kingdom of God.” Acts 1:3 NLT
Jesus had left His disciples with a CHALLENGE: “Stay in Jerusalem UNTIL!”
· When those disciples noticed how many made their way to the UPPER ROOM they only counted 120 out of the 500 that were there when Jesus gave the COMMAND to stay until they were empowered with the Holy Spirit.
· 380 people had chosen NOT to make the personal COMMITMENT that was required in order to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit!
There used to be a cigarette commercial that said, “We’ve come a long way baby.”
· We have come over 2,000 years from that time.
Christianity has also come a long way. From having to meet on the river banks and hiding out in darkened rooms and out somewhere on a lonely hillside to great elaborate buildings and cathedrals.