Summary: What is the blood of Jesus Christ, and does it have the power to change lives? I give 4 areas in this sermon that the blood accomplishes in our lives when applied by faith in Jesus.
Title: One Drop Of Blood (Part 2)
Text: Hebrews 9:11-15
- (Review From Last Week)
- We talked about what the Blood of Christ and how it changes our lives.
- We looked at 3 points last week that the Blood accomplishes in our lives which are:
a. His Blood forgives the sins of all who repent and believe
b. His Blood ransoms all believers from the power of Satan and evil powers.
c. His Blood justifies all who believe in Him.
- I like this story that shows the Blood of Christ in a practical way, it will help us understand what the Blood is and what it can accomplish if people will receive.
A candy maker in Indiana wanted to make a candy that would be a witness, so he made the Christmas
Candy Cane. He incorporated several symbols for the birth, ministry, and death of Jesus Christ.
He began with a stick of pure white hard candy: white to symbolize the Virgin Birth and the sinless nature
of Jesus, and hard to symbolize the solid rock, the Foundation of the Church and firmness of the
promises of God.
The candy maker made the candy in the form of a "J" to represent the precious name of Jesus, who came to earth as our Savior. It could also represent the staff of the Good Shepherd with which He reaches down into the ditches of the world to lift out the fallen lambs who, like all sheep, have gone astray. Thinking that the candy was somewhat plain, the candy maker stained it with red stripes. He used three small stripes for the blood shed by Christ on the cross, so that we could have the promise of eternal life.
Unfortunately, the candy became known as the Candy Cane - a meaningless decoration seen at Christmas time. But the meaning is still there for all those who have "eyes to see and ears to hear". We pray this symbol will again be used to witness to the wonder of Jesus and His great love that came down at Christmas.
- The Blood of Jesus has changed many lives forever and people who have been forgiven feel they must tell the story of Christ shed blood.
- The next time we see a candy cane we can be reminded of the blood of Jesus Christ.
- I mentioned this last week, and I want to mention it again that the Blood of Jesus Christ is central to the NT concept of redemption.
- Christ shed His innocent blood in order to remove, not cover over, our sins, and to reconcile us with God.
- So we must understand what the blood has accomplished, I gave 3 points last week, so now lets conclude with 4 more points and an object lesson that I will do at the end.
- 4 things the blood accomplishes in our lives when we apply it through faith in Jesus Christ:
Point 4: His Blood Cleanses Believers Consciences
- The Blood cleanses Christians consciences so that we may serve God without guilt in full assurance.
- Vs 14 of text says, “How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God.”
- Also Heb 10:22 says, “let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.”
- One more scripture in Heb 13:18 says, “Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way.”
- Many people have been cleansed by God and have experienced a Guiltless conscience, consider this true story:
Throughout his administration, Abraham Lincoln was a president under fire, especially during the scarring years of the Civil War. And though he knew he would make errors of office, he resolved never to compromise his integrity. So strong was this resolve that he once said, "I desire so to conduct the affairs of this administration that if at the end, when I come to lay down the reins of power, I have lost every other friend on earth, I shall at least have one friend left, and that friend shall be down inside of me."
- To be changed that much by the blood of Christ is remarkable. That’s what the blood of Jesus does for us. It cleanses our guilty consciences to the point that we want to keep it from being tainted again.
- But for those who take the Blood of Jesus for granted, this is what they sound like: