Summary: WHEN UNDER ATTACK, THE HEART OF THE GODLY SEEKS ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THE ONE TRUE GOD
WHEN UNDER ATTACK, THE HEART OF THE GODLY SEEKS
ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THE ONE TRUE GOD
I. (:1-10) ONE GOD --
"In the day of my trouble I shall call upon Thee"
A. (:1-4) The Godly Seek God’s Help in Times of Trouble
1. The Nature of the Request
a. Attention: "Incline Thine ear ... and answer me"
b. Deliverance: "Do preserve my soul" = "Save"
C. Grace: "Be gracious to me"
d. Joy: "Make glad the soul"
2. The Nature of the Person Addressed (analyze the names of God used here)
3. The Nature of the Difficulty = Hard Times
"afflicted and needy"
crying out for help = in danger; under attack
needs to be lifted up out of the pit of trouble
4. The Nature of the Seeker
"a godly man"
"Thy servant who trusts in Thee"
B. (:5-10) The One True God is the Only One Able to Deliver / His Uniqueness
"There is no one like Thee among the gods"
"Thou art great and doest wondrous deeds"
"Thou alone art God"
2. Ready to forgive
3. Abundant in lovingkindness
4. The One who Hears and Answers Prayer
5. Without any rivals or legitimate competition
6. Unique in His works of power
7. Worthy of Receiving Worship and Glory from the nations He has created
II. (:11-13) ONE HEART --
"Unite my heart to fear Thy name"
"I will give thanks to Thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart"
A. Our Hearts should respond in Undivided Allegience to the Revelation of God’s Truth
B. Our Hearts should respond in Whole-hearted Thanksgiving to the God of Majesty
C. Our Hearts should appreciate God’s lovingkindness in delivering us from such Deep Trouble
III. (:14-17) ONE REQUEST --
"Show me a sign for good"
A. The Nature of Our Attackers
"arrogant men" -- not humble and submissive to God
"a band of violent men have sought my life" -- not peaceful and loving
"they have not set Thee before them" -- not seekers after God
Therefore, God’s name is at stake
B. The Nature of Our Defender
"merciful and gracious"
"slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth"
C. The Nature of the Encouragement We Seek
1. God’s Favor: "Turn to me, and be gracious to me"
2. God’s Strength: "Oh grant Thy strength to Thy servant "
3. God’s Deliverance: "save the son of Thy handmaid"
4. God’s Assurance: "Show me a sign for good"
Condemnation for my attackers
Comfort for me
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Do we appreciate the positive consequences of our desperate situation (“afflicted and needy” vs. 3) that causes us to draw closer to God and turn to Him for help?
2) Do we really have a confidence in the Goodness of God – that He longs to “make glad our souls” (vs. 4)?
3) Does the “uniqueness” of our great God motivate our heart to be missionary-minded in proclaiming God to others?
4) What types of special “signs for good” (vs. 17) has God been gracious to show us when we are under hostile fire?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)