Summary: Jesus is our mediator. He is our go between. Because man has fallen this is why we need Jesus
One Mediator Between God and Man
Before we begin we must describe what this mediator is.
- a person who attempts to make people involved in a conflict come to an agreement; a go between.
- This is who Jesus is. He has done the work to bring us into a relationship with God.
- Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
- Isaiah 59:2-3 KJV
-  But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.  For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies, your tongue hath muttered perverseness.
- We know that God cannot tolerate sin. He cannot allow it. It is against His holiness but we have all sinned and come short of the glory of God.
1. First we must note that God didn't leave us without hope. It is His desire to have all men to be saved. Verse 4.
- 1 John 2:2 and he is the propitiation for our sin: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
- 1 Timothy 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
- We believe that Jesus died for all man kind and that it is God's greatest desire for everyone to be saved.
- That is that knowledge of the truth spoken of in verse 4. That all would know God and worship Him.
- We were created to glorify Him. We can't begin that until we know Him.
2. Know that there is only one God. Verse 5
- Some will tell us because we believe the trinity that we believe in three separate Gods.
- This is not the case we believe in 1 God made up of 3 persons.
- Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord
- 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
- Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- John 10:30 I and my Father are one.
-  And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
- Remember there is only one God and that is the God of the Bible. Allah is not God. Buddha is not God. We don't all worship the same God and use a different name. There is only one. It is this God that has the power to save your souls. Jesus said I am the way the truth the life. No man cometh to the father but by me.
3. Know that Jesus is the only mediator.
- there are groups out there that teach that you can't pray on your own that you must pray through them to reach God. This verse shows that is false.
- You can't reach the father on your own. You can't earn salvation. You must go through Christ.
-  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- In the Old Testament not just anyone could go into the most inner room the holy of holies in temple.
- Only the high priest went in only once a year to offer a sacrifice.
- Hebrews 9:7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:
- Only the high priest could enter beyond that veil to make this sacrifice which would cover the sins for a year.
- When Jesus died on the cross it wasn't to cover our sins it was to cleanse our sins. His sacrifice was the ultimate payment of sin.
-  Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.  And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;