Summary: Today’s Scripture shows us how Nimrod, a type of Antichrist, unified humanity using all its knowledge, science and resources to establish a city. By the way… Nimrod’s leadership over the people in his day was the exact opposite of what God commanded.
Today is the first Sunday after the 4th of July. On our church FB page I posted the Declaration of Independence with this comment: “Praise The Lord for providing the founding principles of the United States of America in the Bible. #ournationfromGodsinspiration” That one post caused us to reach over 4K people! This week as a whole we reached 25 new 1st tine “Likes” which put us at 700 page likes. On FB, we are the second most visited and liked page right behind First Baptist!
I say all of that to say this: I love my country. But my friends, I love the Lord Jesus Christ Above all! I am a disciple of Jesus Christ 1st, I am a Father and Husband 2nd, after that, I am a Baptist Pastor and an American!
I do not want anyone to misunderstand. I am not trying to be High and Mighty this morning. I am just stating conviction. Don’t get me wrong, I probably have been too High and Mighty at one time or another! Have you ever been caught trying to be too high and mighty?
“OOPS – I TRIED TO GO GET OVER GOD?” Gen. 10:8-11, 11:1-9
INTRO – The Book of Genesis is the seedbed of all Bible prophecy. It is also the indicator of the condition of all humanity. In many ways Genesis is a prefiguring of what is to come.
Today’s Scripture shows us how Nimrod, a type of Antichrist, unified humanity using all its knowledge, science and resources to establish a city. By the way… Nimrod’s leadership of the people in his day was the exact opposite of what God commanded when He created the world. The tower is a symbol of human independence from God.
As it was demolished by God, one day all the earth and those opposed to God will also crumble.
Let’s look at the steps Nimrod and the people took to “Get Over On God.”
I. THE FIRST STEP: REBELLION
A. Look at vv. 8-9 –Cross ref Gen 1: 28 - Nimrod’s name in Hebrew means "rebel or we will rebel". A better translation for the phrase "before the Lord" in V9 is literally "against God" or “in God’s face.”
1. First Nimrod rebelled against his forefathers. God had instructed Adam to be fruitful and multiply, fill the earth and take dominion. After the flood, God gave Noah the same instruction. Noah gave it to his sons Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Ham gave it to Cush and Cush passed God’s instructions down to Nimrod.
a. Nimrod told his father Cush “No!” We will not do what the generations before us have done… We will do things a new way, without God; without your biblical & historic principles.
1) Do you see the parallel to America today? In America today, we too are telling our Forefathers: NO! We will not live like you did! Neither will we obey God, abide by the principles of the Bible nor the Constitution of the USA.
• My friends, I truly believe one day, a remnant of our children will look back at us today and do you know what they will conclude:
It wasn’t the deficit that destroyed America. That was just a symptom of the real problem.
It wasn’t any single President or political party– though many have lacked the courage, character and Christian Conviction necessary to do their duty.
It was not the jihadists and terrorists.
• Our children will say: America came to ruin because:
1) We ceased to be the people of God, 2) We ceased to be the people of God’s Word - the Bible. 3) We ceased to be “We the People” of the Constitution of the USA!
2. Nimrod rebelled against his forefathers and then his heavenly father. How?
Gen 1:26-28 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it…."
a. Nimrod rebelled against God’s Word and Will! He didn’t want to be under it. He wanted to be above it! Look again at Gen. 1:26 c.f.11:2-4
Explanation – Nimrod and his people built this city Babel, which was eventually became Babylon. Does that name sound familiar? It should. In the Bible from Genesis clear through the Revelation, Babylon is the cradle and the coffin of all false religion.
3. Nimrod rebelled against his forefathers, his heavenly father and you and me.