Summary: This sermon is about having the power of God to back up yuour ministry with supernatural manifestations
OPERATING IN SUPERNATURAL MINISTRY
STUDY TEXT: 2KINGS 2: 12-15.
- Elisha made a choice to operate in a higher dimension of the supernatural ministry of Elijah. He asked for a double portion of Elijah’s spirit. Any man called by God has to make a choice whether to operate in a supernatural ministry or not. Ministry without the backing of the power of God to do unusual exploits is an empty ministry. Philip could not have succeeded in taken over Samaria from the hold of the magician who had held the people captive in great bondage of deception and witchcraft, if not for the supernatural manifestation of the power of God in his ministry.
- This choice made Elisha to pursue the anointing with great determination and sacrifice. There is always a price to pay in receiving the anointing of God. One must be ready to totally surrender to God and His righteousness, and must be ready to be committed to the study of the word of God, and being a faithful doer of the word, and given to fasting and prayer. In Acts chapter 6, the apostles made a declaration that they will give themselves continually to prayer and the ministry of the word, no wonder they all operated in a supernatural ministry.
- The supernatural ministry brings progress and breakthroughs, without which there will be stagnation and murmuring.
1. OBSTACLES TO THE SUPERNATURAL MINISTRY
There are reasons why people do not operate in a supernatural ministry. Some of these are identified below:
1. Ignorance. “And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you”. Luke 10: 18-19. Jesus has given us power to operate in the supernatural, but unfortunately, many believers are operating in ignorance. The still live in fear over what the devil could do to them rather than exercising their authority over him.
2. Contentment and false satisfaction. There has to be continual longing for God and His presence, which will bring more of His grace and anointing upon a man to do the supernatural. Whatever level you get to, there is still much room ahead, but there has to be a desire and a determination for more. Philippians 3:12-16: Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Philippians 3:12-16
3. Self-indulgence and lack of focus. All forms of self indulgence is an obstacle to operating in the supernatural, apart from preventing somebody from getting to heaven on the last day, it can also rob one of God’s anointing while still here on earth. 1 Corinthians 9:25-27:
“And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway”.
4. Prayerlessness, coldness and carelessness. No prayer, no power, more prayer, more power, know prayer, know power. Effective prayer life is an indispensable requirement to operate in the supernatural. Most of the time Jesus will withdraw from the crowd to a solitary place in order to commune with God. This keeps Him fresh with the power of God. Lukewarmness and prayerlessness will make a minister to lack the power of God or to lose it if there initially. Luke 18:1 “And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint”
5. Moving with wrong people. Your friends can either make you or mar you. One should be able to recognize the company to part with in order to be the best God desired you to be. Elisha has to part with the sons of the prophet in Bethel, Jericho, and Jordan to be able to follow Elijah to a place the power came upon him. People living in sins, giving ungodly counsel, unserious with their relationship with God, and so on are to be avoided if one will get and retain the anointing of the Holy Spirit. 2 Kings 2:2-9: And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel. And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace. And Elijah said unto him, Elisha, tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Jericho. And he said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they came to Jericho. And the sons of the prophets that were at Jericho came to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he answered, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace. And Elijah said unto him, Tarry, I pray thee, here; for the LORD hath sent me to Jordan. And he said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And they two went on. And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went, and stood to view afar off: and they two stood by Jordan. And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground. And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.