Summary: The first of a series of three sermons on how Moses’ relationships affected his usefulness to God.
• The hardest thing about ministry is relationships. Many of us are ineffective in ministry because of fractured relationships.
• There is no ministry outside of relationship.
• God’s order began with people in garden, in authority with dominion.
• And it continues that way today. He uses those who let Him use them.
• Moses was one of those guys. A guy who got used because he dealt with his relationships.
Exodus 4:18-19, 18Then Moses departed and returned to Jethro his father-in-law and said to him, ‘please, let me go, that I may return to my brethren who are in Egypt, and see if they are still alive.’ And Jethro said to Moses, ‘go in peace.’ 19Now the Lord said to Moses in Midian, ‘Go back to Egypt, for all the men who were seeking your life are dead.’”
o Read vs. 20-31 - This encompasses all the key relationships in Moses’ life.
• Here is Moses/Jethro, Moses/Zipporah, Moses/Aaron, Moses and elders.
• All our lives look at some level like an an organizational chart.
• With people above us, beside us, and below us.
I. RELATING RIGHT
• You and I are called to be instruments of salvation. The goal isn’t to get outta hell to heaven. The goal is to fulfill destiny.
Exodus19:5-6, “Now then, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, then you shall be my own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is mine; 6and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel.”
• Priests - Bridge builders to the world.
• The exodus ones or ones taken out and us the ecclesia (church) or called out ones - ek and kaleo, ek=out and kaleo=called.
• We are all meant to be deliverers. Genesis 12 - Blessed to be a blessing.
• This was Moses, called by God, he turned aside, dealt with his internal identity issues, (who am I) God empowered him with signs (staff) and now he is ready to move out.
• Not exactly. Not till he deals with relationships.
• If you are going to be used as a deliverer you are going to have to order your world properly.
• You are going to have to relate right to those God puts over you: parents, employers, leaders.
• To those He puts next to you: friends, neighbors. Those He gives you charge over: family, employees, etc.
• How do you relate to your possessions (do you own them or do they own you?), to your power, to your place in this life.
II. GET ON YOUR NUMBER SO GOD CAN USE YOU
• Once Moses gets his calling and he figures out what God is up to…
• He then must deal with people on these three different levels.
• When we speak of those above, beside, below there is no value or worth put on the position. We all have value in God’s eyes, but as I taught you three - four years ago we all have our own number.