Summary: As we can see, the purpose of I John is to teach us how to deal with sin in our daily life and live a joyouse life in victory of sin. God has not left us in a daily battle without any help. God has equipped every Christian to lives a victorious Christia
Purpose of 1 John
1. Teach about fellowship with God and His Family
2. Teach about the fullnes of joy, flowing from assurance of salvation
3. Teach about forgiveness of sin in daily life.
4. Uses in the Old Testament:
Problem of Sin in our daily life:
1. Sin destroys fellowship (chapter 1)
2. Sin will make us ashamed at Christ’s coming (2:28)
3. Sin may bring physical death (5:16)
As we can see, the purpose of I John is to teach us how to deal with sin in our daily life and live a joyouse life in victory of sin. God has not left us in a daily battle without any help. God has equipped every Christian to lives a victorious Christian life. If we are willing to be obedient to the Word of God, we will live a victoriious life. Let us focus now on one of the great weapons that Christians possess.....this weapons is Jesus Christ our Advocate before the Father!
1.The aim of the Christian life (vs.1)
A. “That you sin not”
B. Awareness of sin brings us to the Saviour
1. Want to be saved? Realize you are
2. Want to go to heaven? Realize you
are bound for hell!
3. Christ came to save you. (Luke
C. Upon receiving Christ by faith, we are
forgiven (Col 1:14)
“In whom we have redemption through
his blood, even the forgiveness of
D. What should be our goal as believers?
1. We should aim for daily
obedience. If we live a life in obedience to the Word of God, a
victorious Christian life will be one of the many bi-products.
Let’s keep our eyes properly
2. Look to Jesus as our supreme
example! (Hebrews 12:1-4)
E. Remember we are equipped to live an
2. The advocate for all Christians (vs. 1b)
A. “but if any man sin”
1. Face the reality of imperfection
2. God loves us still (Romans 8:38-
B. “we have an advocate with the Father”
1. an advocate who comes to our aid
when we stumble.
2. Greek word Paraklaytos. Advocate
is one who intercedes, counsels,
3. An advocate who interceeds in
heaven for us.(Hebrews 7:25)
4. We have both and advocat on earth
and in heaven(John 14-16)
5. An Advocate when the enemy comes
3. The Atonement (s. 2)
A. He is our propitiation for our sins.
propitiation means to appease. the blood
atonement of Christ appeased the wrath
and satisfied His justice.
B. He paid for our sins with His blood which
reconciled us to the Father.
C. His work as our advocate continues today.
Today, you are invited to live in the joyous and abundant life found only in Christ Jesus! He has done everything that is required to reconcile you with God. Now, he simple offers you the free gift of salvation. Will you aceept His gift or will you continue to turn Him away? Answer while He is still knocking. If you continue rejecting Him, be warned that there will come a time when Christ will stop knocking!
If you know Christ as your Saviour today, our you living the abundant life that Christ intended for you to live? If not, why not? Christ has done everything required for you to do it. The question today is, “will you simple choose to obey Him and His Word?” The victorious Christian life is that simple either you choose to obey and live in victory or you choose to disobey and live in defeat. The choice is yours! Which will it be?