Summary: Who is Jehovah? and What Place Does He Have in My Life?
“I will give thanks unto thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psm 139:14)
Thesis: For all to come to a more complete understanding of our Father and His place in our life.
1. That God has revealed Himself in the Bible is a fact that is accepted by all who believe that the book is of divine origin.
2. Psm 19:1 and Romans 1:20 tell us that He made Himself known through the material creation of the world.
a. We must keep in mind that no one can learn the Identity of God from Nature as the source.
b. We only learn from that source that there must have been a creator.
3. As you study the Bible; you come to realize that God has a three-fold relationship with that He has created; Creator, Lawgiver, Redeemer
a. Each of these three relationships carry with them three characteristics;
i. As Creator: there is wisdom, power, and goodness,
ii. As Lawgiver; there is justice, truth, and holiness.
iii. As Redeemer there is mercy, condescension, and love.
b. Observe as well, in each of these three characteristics,
i. He is infinite, immutable, and eternal.
4. Let us open our minds and Bibles together tonight, and discover who God really is to us. And what He has in store for us!
As Our Creator (Gen 1:26-28)
1. He is Wise.
a. Job 11:6 And that he would show thee the secrets of wisdom, that they are double to that which is! Know therefore that God exacts of thee less than thine iniquity deserves
b. He knows that we are creatures of habit and weakness.
c. Job says here that He is merciful, giving us less in judgment than our sins deserve
d. In cases of wisdom God knows all, feels all, sees all, is all.
e. We must place our trust in him that would have us to be His children.
f. Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
2. He is Powerful
a. Ps 29:4 The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty
b. The power of God is indescribable.
i. We see power in nature (earthquake, tornado, forest fire)
ii. We know this power to be nothing compared the hands that give life.
3. He is Goodness
a. Exod 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
b. This goodness is the well in which mercy and Grace flow
i. It is this attribute that we find Salvation for all.
1. 1 Tim 2:4-5 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1. Justice is God’s realm, not to be confused with man’s judgment.
a. Isa 33:22 For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; he will save us.
b. We are given a certain set of prescribes principles to follow in our lives.
c. It is the adherence to these that makes us acceptable or not to God.
d. We must be careful that we follow God’s laws and not man’s tradition.
e. James 4:12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judges another?