Summary: Our economic downturn and insecurity can force us back to the Word of God and a reassessment of our philosophy of life: What do we REALLY believe?
Our Economic Downturn: A Time to Refocus, Part 2
1. Editorial by Rod Dreher, Dallas Morning News appeared in the KT, "People wonder how to get what they want but rarely think about what they should want."
2. How true. Did you ever consider that you shouldn’t want some of the things you do want? The problem may not be that you do not have the means, but that you shouldn’t want it in the first place.
3. Because of this assumption that if we can attain something we want, we should attain it, the consequence is over work and over doing it.
Main Idea: Our economic downturn and insecurity can force us back to the Word of God and a reassessment of our philosophy of life: What do we REALLY believe?
I. Riches, Materialism and A Career Offer Us FALSE Security (17a)
A. It creates ARROGANCE
B. It means our primary HOPE is in material things
C. It is a SHAKY foundation
D. It is simply advanced TOKENISM
II. The Alternative Operational System: GOD and OTHERS (17b-19)
It is futile to stop trying to be materialistic, or to stop trying to put our trust in things. Instead, we have to take a pro-active approach, start intensifying our relationship to God.
A. Finding SECURITY in God (17b)
B. Finding An ENJOYABLE Life (17c)
1. A GODLY life
2. A CONTENT life
I Timothy 6:6-10 "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
Many of our troubles begin when we tolerate discontent in ourselves…
This can lead to selfish choices to alleviate our disconten & often, there is no going back
To be discontent with our walk with the Lord or our character or our service is a good thing… but to be discontent with our lives invites depression and selfishness…
* During his trip to Hawaii, Bill Gates was horrified to find a fisherman lying beside his boat, smoking his pipe.
"Why aren’t you fishing? asked Bill Gates.
"Because I have caught enough fish for the day."
"Why don’t you catch some more?"
"What could I do with them?"
"Earn more money. Then you could have a motor fixed to your boat and go into deeper waters and catch more fish. That would bring you more money. Soon you would have enough to buy nylon nets, so more fish, more money .Soon you would have enough to buy two boats even a fleet of boats. Then you would be rich like me."
" What would I do then?"
"Then you could sit back and enjoy life."
"What do you think I am doing now?"
[source: Sermon Central]
3. A truly RICH life
You can experience the rich life no matter how wealthy you are, and you be be materialistic no matter how poor you are.
1. John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."