Summary: Jesus stands alone! 1. Only Jesus is able to save us (vs. 21). 2. Only Jesus was approved by the Heavenly Father (vs. 22). 3. Only Jesus was appointed to be our sacrifice (vs. 23). 4. Only Jesus had the power to come back alive (vs. 24).
Our First and Foremost Message Is Jesus Christ!
Sermon by Rick Crandall
Grayson Baptist Church - June 2, 2013
(Revised from a message preached at McClendon Baptist Church - May 3, 2006)
*The Apostle Peter preached on the Day of Pentecost, and here is part of what he said:
21. . . "'It shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.'
22. Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know
23. Him, being delivered by the determined counsel and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death;
24. whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it." (Acts 2:21-24)
*Dan was a friend of mine years ago back in Georgia, and he was a good man, one of the deacons at the Baptist church we attended. I liked Dan a lot. He was friendly, he had a good sense of humor, and he cared about people.
*But I remember the conversation we had about the difference between Islam and Christianity. Dan had made friends with a Muslim man at work, and he began to compare the two religions. Dan thought about the fact that they believe in one god, and we believe in one God. They believe in right and wrong, so do we. We both believe in living a moral life. So Dan said, "I don't see the difference between Islam and Christianity. We both serve the same God."
*Dan couldn't have been more wrong. The difference is the cross! The difference is Jesus Christ! And that makes all the difference in the world.
*Consider The Dome of the Rock Islamic Shrine in Jerusalem. If you have ever seen a picture of Jerusalem, you have seen The Dome of the Rock, because this shrine is the most prominent building in the city. It was built on the Temple Mount. Finished around 692 AD, the Dome is the oldest Islamic building in the world. Its location is one of the holiest sites in Islam, only surpassed by Mecca and Medina.
*On the interior walls of the Dome of the Rock is an inscription that includes these words: "O People of the Book! Do not exaggerate in your religion. . . The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a Messenger of God, and His Word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers, and say not 'Three' - Cease! (It is) better for you!
*God is only One God. Far be it removed from His transcendent majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And God is sufficient as Defender. The Messiah will never scorn to be a servant unto God, nor will the favored angels. . . It befits not (the Majesty of) God that He should take unto Himself a son. . ." (1)
*The evidence is clear: Islam is an anti-Christ religion. Therefore, it was inspired by the devil, and tragically, one billion Muslims are following a false faith into hell.
*Jesus Christ is the Son of God! He is unparalleled, incomparable and without equal. Jesus stands alone! And this part of Peter's sermon shows us how the Lord stands alone.
1. First: Only Jesus is able to save us.
*We see this truth in vs. 21, where God's Word says: "And it shall come to pass, that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." There is no other name that can save us!
*By Acts chapter 4, Peter and John were thrown into jail for preaching about Jesus. And when they were hauled before the rulers the next day, Acts 4:7-12 says:
7. And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, "By what power or by what name have you done this?''
8. Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Rulers of the people and elders of Israel:
9. If we this day are judged for a good deed done to the helpless man, by what means he has been made well,
10. let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole.
11. This is the 'stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.'
12. Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.''