Summary: Start living like those who have been blessed in Christ.
Our Spiritual Blessings In Christ
Text: Eph. 1:3-14
1. Illustration: A Roman historian named Titus Livius once said, "Men are slower to recognize blessings than misfortunes.
2. There are many Christians today that walk around with an interiority complex because they do not realize the blessings that they have in Christ
a. They see themselves as unworthy of the blessings of Christ.
b. They see themselves as ill-prepared to do whatever God asks them to do.
3. However, Paul tells us a different story. He says that we are blessed in Christ.
4. Read Eph. 1:3-14
5. I believe that if Paul were here today he would tell us that we need to recognize just how blessed we are as Christians. He would tell us to:
Proposition: Start living like those who have been blessed in Christ.
Transition: First, we must realize that we have been blessed with...
I. Every Spiritual Blessings (3)
A. Every Spiritual Blessing
1. Paul says "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ..."
a. The word that Paul is using here literally means "one who is worthy of blessings" (Rogers and Rogers, 434).
b. He is saying that God is worthy to receive our praises.
2. We are really quick to praise God for what He has done for us, as well we should, but we also need to remember to praise Him for who He is.
a. Ps. 100:4-5 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting, And His truth endures to all generations.
b. Illustration: It is like telling your wife you love her only because she cooks your supper and washes your clothes.
3. However, we also need to recognize what He has done for us. Paul says God "has blessed us with every spiritual blessing..."
a. He has not blessed us with a few blessings, or some blessings, but every spiritual blessing.
b. He has given us every spiritual blessing we will ever need.
c. Notice that these blessings are not material, but spiritual.
4. Whatever we need to do what God desires of us has already been provided.
a. If you need the ability to witness, He has already given it to you.
b. If you need the faith to believe God for a miracle, He has already given it to you.
c. He has blessed you with every spritual blessing.
B. Heavenly Places
1. He has given us these blessings in the "heavenly places in Christ."
2. There is a realm of existence that we deal with every day that you cannot touch, smell, or taste.
3. It is a realm that you cannot see with your eyes, but like the wind you know its there.
4. 2 Cor. 10:3-6 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.
5. There is a realm where we come face to face with Satan and all of his workers of iniquity on a daily basis.