Summary: You are either a product of your past or you are a product of the Cross. Entering the New Year or any new endeavor needs the guidance of God in order to be truly sucessful.
Out of the Past and Into the Future
3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe. 2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. Phil 3:1-2 (KJV)
Watch out for those dogs, those wicked men and their evil deeds, those mutilators who say you must be circumcised to be saved. Phil 3:2 (NLT)
3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. 4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; 11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. 16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Phil 3:1-16 (KJV)
You are either a product of your past or of the Cross!
• All of us are greatly influenced by our past. (Parental influence & Personal history)
• You are destined to be either a product of your past or a product of the Cross!
• Good News: There is power in the Cross of Christ to defeat your past! [No matter what your past was!]
• But- remember, TODAY IS TOMORROW’S PAST.
• Follow Paul’s example of leaving the past and entering the future.
Entering the New Year – God’s Way. (or Future)
1- Recognize That Real Life Comes on God’s Terms. (READ 3:2 -6)
1. Saving self = Mission Impossible. ( Mk. 10:27)
And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? 27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible. Mk 10:26-27 (KJV)
2. Let Go and Let God. (3:9) [It comes “by faith.”]
3. If you are saved … learn to enjoy it!!! [“rejoice” (3:1)]
2- Commit to do What It Takes To Know Christ. (READ 3:7-11)
1. There is an incredible difference between knowing and knowing about.
2. As much as there is between being hungry and eating. [Dreaming and Reality]
3. Many things worth knowing, but nothing as valuable as knowing Christ.
4. It cost to be a disciple!!!!
3- Press Toward God’s Mark for Your Life. (READ 3:12-14)
1. God has a plan.
2. God has gifted you.
3. Don’t settle for less!!!
4- Focus On the Future, Not On the Past. (READ 3:13b)
1. Glance at the past - Gaze at the future.
• Forget past negatives: Failures and Hurts.
• God is willing to forgive. (Isa. 43:25)
I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins. Isa 43:25 (KJV)
2. Glance at the past - Gaze at the future.
• Forget past Positives.
3. We often get this backwards.
• We tend to Gaze at the past - Glance at the future. [Illus. Israel remembering Egypt]
• We tend to romance the past!
5- Hold the Ground Your Have Attained. (READ 3:15-16)
1. Don’t give in and don’t give up!
2. Don’t give up ground!!!
3. Continue to do what you know to do! [STAND]