Summary: All Christians have been commissioned to reach out with the love and message of Jesus.
MAIN IDEA: All Christians have been commissioned to reach out with the love and message of Jesus.
OBJECTIVES: hearers will be encouraged and inspired to keep an “arrows out” approach to life, always looking for and creating opportunities to share the love and message of Jesus with others.
Hearers will commit to doing something “arrows out” in the coming week.
Pop Quiz – (with candy treats for those who answer correctly)
1. Fill in the blank: Our mission is to create an authentic Christian community that effectively ___________ ______.
2. When we reach out to unchurched people, we reach out with what 3 things?
3. The end product our church is trying to produce is
a. busy church people
b. a large and beautiful church building
c. people living a purposeful life of discipleship
4. Name the 3 priorities of CTK church.
5. TRUE or FALSE. The most important meeting of the week is the worship service.
To create an authentic Christian community that effectively reaches out to unchurched people with love, acceptance and forgiveness so that they may experience the joy of salvation and a purposeful life of discipleship.
To see a prevailing, multi-location church emerge that will transform the spiritual landscape. This church will convene in hundreds of small groups, with worship centers strategically located in every community.
• Worship: We are devoted to worshiping God as a lifestyle.
• Small Groups: We are determined to care for each other through small groups.
• Outreach: We are dedicated to reaching people who do not know Christ as their Savior.
Last week we talked about the importance of Small Groups as our Plan A for creating disciples. This week we’re going to review what it means to say that we are dedicated to the priority of OUTREACH.
We have the 2nd annual “Arrows Out Conference” coming up in 2 weeks. The term “arrows out” refers to a stance that we at CTK have chosen to take in relationship to those outside our church.
The typical church model is arrows in.
This can refer to two things:
1. The energy, money, and time of church members is spent cultivating relationships WITHIN the church.
2. The church expects people to COME IN to hear the good news and experience a purposeful life of discipleship.
Typically this type of mindset starts at the level of the individual, continues up into the smaller groups of the church, and continues all the way the organizational system of the church.
At CTK are trying to buck that trend – and be ARROWS OUT instead. Here’s what that means.
1. The people of CTK spend time cultivating relationships with people outside the church.
2. The people of CTK GO TO people outside the church instead of expecting them to come in.
But even this picture of what our church is supposed to be like is incomplete – we need to add one more feature to the diagram.
Our mission statement says we are striving to create an AUTHENTIC CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY that EFFECTIVELY REACHES OUT. So in small groups we develop authentic Christian community with other believers – but we then use those times as springboards to reach outside the circle and meet others where they are with the love, acceptance, and forgiveness of Christ.