Summary: Part 3 of the series looks at specific attacks and how we can recognize when we are being attacked in the spirit.
& THE WHOLE ARMOR OF GOD (SERIES)
3 ¡V When the Enemy Strikes
Rev. Bruce A. Shields
First Baptist church of Tawas City Michigan
„« Scripture Reading ¡V Ephesians 6:10, 11 (NIV)
Ephesians 6:10, 11
¡§Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil¡¦s schemes.¡¨
„« Satan and his demons are our enemy
„« What Satan¡¦s scheme is
Draw you away from God
Draw you from God¡¦s will in your life
Deny God the glory & honor due to Him in our lives
Destroy us at all costs
Remember, the holier your walk, the more intense the spiritual attacks on you in your life.
„« What is Satan¡¦s strategy
Always attacks our minds mostly by temptation.
¡§The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.¡¨
Attacking believers with flaming darts ¡V
Thoughts, ideas, impulses, doubt, anger, jealousy, pride, envy, covet ness.
Habitual patterns in thinking become strongholds for Satan.
We cannot prevent satanic attacks, but we can prepare ourselves.
„« How Satan attacked in the O.T.
Subtleness, doubt the word God spoke. Did God say that? (Did not say God was lying)
Subtle lie to reinforce eves doubt. (He didn¡¦t say that.)
Tempted eve to sin against God to become like God.
„« How Satan attacked in the N.T.
1. Tempting Christ to satisfy His fleshly desire. (in this case for food)
2. Tempting Christ to prove if God¡¦s word was true.
3. Tempting Christ to surrender to Satan for earthly treasure and authority.
„« Identify temptation / test or trial
Tests and trials do come from God to grow us and mature us. Conform us to His likeness. So we can be more effective Christians to help others.
Temptation is always from the devil and will always be to draw us away from God.
Scriptures tell us God does not tempt us.
„« How Satan attacks today
So what is Satan¡¦s strategy today?
1. Meets our needs or desires through means other than God¡¦s way
2. He will choose has time to attack very carefully. Timing is key.
3. Waits for our most vulnerable moment to bombard us.
4. He lies.
5. Satan loves debate. Debate causes doubt. You cannot win a debate against the devil.
6. Question God¡¦s word.
7. Doubt scripture that deals with your area of weakness.
8. Subtle ideas
9. Satan loves to deny his own existence.
10. Gives you anything to take you from God.
„« Signs you are being attacked
1. He will work through others to divert attention to his presence.
2. He will attack a single scripture not the whole Bible.
3. Justify your wrong doings.
4. Works slowly to get you from living righteously to living an ungodly life.
5. Drift in spiritual disciplines. (Used to pray daily, tithe, read bible daily)
6. Depression, anger, frustration, lost, low self esteem, no direction.
7. Blaming God for circumstances.
8. No peace, joy, happiness, contentment.
If you have any of these symptoms, Satan is having a devastating attack on your life.