Summary: Loving Believers and Unbelievers.
John 13:34-35 “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (NIV)
1) Be Genuine. Vs. 9
2) Be Courteous of others needs. Vs. 10
3) Be Contagious with Enthusiasm. Vs. 11
4) Be Positive, Be Patient and Be Prayerful. Vs. 12
5) Be Sharing your heart and love with Others. Vs. 13
6) Be a Blessing and never speak evil of another. Vs. 14
7) Be Sympathetic to each other’s feelings. Vs. 15
8) Be at Peace avoid pride and partiality. Vs. 16
Key: The issue of love is not what does it mean but really am I going to do it?
Question: How do I love to those who hurt me?
Loving Unbelievers: Responding when we are Wronged
1) Counteract our Natural Instincts! Vs. 17a “Do not repay anyone evil for evil.” (NIV)
Question: How do you counteract that Natural Inclination to strike back?
Key: Hurt people hurt people!
Vs. 17b “Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.” (NIV)
2) Leave all Revenge to God! Vs. 18-19
Revenge is the most worthless emotion.
Must leave room for God’s Wrath!
Deuteronomy 32:35 “It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them.” (NIV)
3) Turn the Enemy into a Friend. Vs. 21 “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (NIV)
Key: Let us be doers of God’s word not simply hearers!