Summary: Introduce the principles of Faith: What is faith?, How does faith come?, How is faith released?
Principles of Faith
Foundational Text: Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Hab 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Intro: The purpose for teaching concerning faith principles is basic. It is what we were intending to live by, meaning we need to know this in order to live the way God intended for us to live. In ministering to the church at Corinth, Paul writes, 2Co 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:). Tonight we want to introduce the subject of faith to everyone. We can not stress enough of the importance of knowing how to operate within the principles of faith. We will see this evening the reasons why we should not only understand these principles, but know how to apply them to our everyday life, for we have seen four examples concerning our foundational text, we must live by faith.
I. Why Faith?
A. Aren’t other things more important? How about love, peace, hope. There are a multitude of principles in the new Covenant that need to be taught, however, there is one in particular, in which the Bible says we can not please God without!
1. Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
2. (ASV) And without faith it is impossible to be well-pleasing unto him; for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that seek after him.
3. (CEV) But without faith no one can please God. We must believe that God is real and that he rewards everyone who searches for him.
4. (GNB) No one can please God without faith, for whoever comes to God must have faith that God exists and rewards those who seek him.
5. (MSG) It’s impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him.
6. This word please means in the Greek, to gratify entirely. Doesn’t this agree with, Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
B. Obtain promises –
Heb 11:33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
Heb 6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
1. Every promise contained in the Word of God is obtained by faith!
2. (GNB) Through faith they fought whole countries and won. They did what was right and received what God had promised. They shut the mouths of lions
C. Protection against fiery darts
Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
D. Saved by Faith
1. Rom 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
2. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
II. Faith in Action
A. We have many examples in the New Testament of people using their faith, and the Lord Jesus commending them for it!
1. Mar 5:34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague. – Lady with issue of blood.
2. Luk 5:20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. – Man let down through the roof
3. Luk 7:9 When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. – Centurion.
4. Mat 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.