Summary: The sermon is based on the idea of how the Word of God is passed from one leader to another.
Scripture Reading Deuteronomy 34:1-12 Pass The Baton
In a relay race, one athlete runs a lap, and then hands the baton to a second, who then runs and hands it to a third, who runs and hands it to a fourth. Notice, the first runner never crosses the finish line, but the team will win if their four runners complete their laps the fastest and do not drop the baton. That is the same is true for the Israelites, who had a great leader named Moses who led them out of Egypt and across the wilderness to the edge of the promised land -- the Bible says that he was famous for his "mighty deeds" (Deuteronomy 34:12). But his lap ended before he could enter the Promised Land, and he had to pass the baton to Joshua, who was "full of the spirit of wisdom" (v. 9). Joshua led for a while, and then passed the baton to another leader, who passed it to another leader and so on. The baton is still being passed to leaders in the church today, no leader runs forever, and that God wants the baton to continue to be passed -- in fact, some day it will be passed to children in our congregation today.
Billy Graham once said, "Our primary goal in life is to prepare for the last day."
Passing the baton
1. Consider Some Accolades of the Man Moses:
A. God shows Moses the future promise of land
. 4Then the LORD said to him, "This is the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when I said, `I will give it
to your descendants.' I have let you see it with your eyes, but you will not cross over into it."
B. God calls Moses the Servant of the Lord
5And Moses the servant of the LORD
C. God officiates the funeral services of Moses
6He buried himB in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is.
D. Moses is the Prophet that God spoke to face to face
10Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,
E. God says, No one was Superior to Moses
12no one has ever shown the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.
Those that passed the baton of Inspiration of faith down.
• Abel was a faithful leader who offered a better sacrifice
• Then Noah was a faithful leader who built a ark to save his family
• Abraham was a faithful leader who willing leaves his country to go into a land God would show him
• Joseph was a faithful leader who offered forgiveness to all the wrongs done to him
• Moses was a faithful leader who desired to suffer with the children of Israel than to serve sin for a season
• Joshua would be the next faithful leader who was told
6"Be strong and courageous Be careful to obey all the law Do not let this Book of the Law
depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, as I was with Moses so shall I be with you!
2. Passing the baton means someone will take up God Time
Billy Graham also once said, "The greatest waste in all our earth, which cannot
be recycled or reclaimed is our waste of time that God has given us each day.
3. Passing the baton means someone will take care of God's Territory