Summary: Matthew 5: 13 - 16 Christians need to be the Salt of the World and be Light
Pass the Salt and Turn on the Light
A: Christ seems to be stating quite clearly that the source of our influence is found in the person we are!!
You ARE Salt not
You HAVE Salt or You DISPENSE Salt
B: Only as Christians are salt in their lives & character can they exercise the influence of salt in their society.
C. None of us exercise influence upon other people by our words if what we say is not backed up by what we are.
D. Centuries ago the Romans contended that salt was the purest of all things because it came from the purest of all elements: The Sun & the Sea
· So if Christians are to be salt of the they must be an example of Purity
· Christians must hold high standards of purity in speech, conduct, thought and action
· Salt can not be ignored
· It has a positive influence
· We can NOT fail to recognize its presence ex: FOOD to much salt
· If it is absent we MISS it
- People will be aware of it
- Not always welcome but will be recognized
Christians are PURE
Christ said “ You are the salt of the Earth since we are the Salt”
Since we are the Salt
Where are we to set free our preserving and purifying powers?
The Answer is found in the word Earth
We are to exercise our influence in the here and now
Our Community/ Our Jobs/Where ever we are at
Salt does it most effective work by being brought in direct contact with the substance which it is to work
Salt as a PRESERATIVE
- Ancient times used salt to preserve stuff (Food)
- Jesus is telling is that the world around us is a state of decay, and it needs something to keep it from rotting and stinking
- If something like the meat went bad it was not the meats fault it was the PRESERATIVE that did not do its job
- Can you imagine what the world would be like without Christian Influence?
- World - PRESERATIVE
Salt as an Antiseptic
- We do not gargle salt water to stay healthy! We do it for relief and to kill germs
Salt has a Flavoring Influence
- Without salt food has little if any flavor
- Christ is saying that the Christian is to life what salt is to food
- We are to lend Flavor to Life
- Most think that a Christian Life has no flavor – they are WRONG
Oliver Holmes is quoted as saying that he might have entered the ministry if certain clergyman he knew did not act like undertakers
People need to discover the JOY of the Christian Faith
It is NOT BORING……… we should be on Fire for Christ
What Happens if Salt loses is saltiness…”When Jesus referred to his disciples as salt, they were without question highly complimented.
· They did not realize how important they were prior to this statement
· Christ did not call them salt to give them an ego trip or a big head
· He desired to impress them with a solemn warning – they could lose their saltiness That is they could sacrifice their influence
· Salt- Pure sodium as we know can not lose it saltiness