Summary: All the promises of the Bible for God’s people were claimed by pleading the blood
Past The Past
The Bible says come and let us reason together.
• There is something we have to reason together so that we are the victorious people we were saved to be.
Pleading the blood has been a part of the faith of the old-timers when they experienced attacks from the devil or needed healing, etc.
• Basically it was the saint’s resort whenever any need arose.
• All the promises of the Bible for God’s people were claimed by pleading the blood.
This understanding has been lost for the most part today.
• In a world of prosperity preachers who tell you that God wants you to own a Rolls Royce, and miracle workers drawing thousands of people who want to see something happen, much of the vital truths of the Bible have been replaced by SENSATIONALISTIC searching studies of the miraculous or the prosperous.
• God does accomplish some sensational acts sometimes, and He can bless us and prosper us, but not all the time.
• But there is one thing that works all the time and is there for us all the time and that is the simple, basic truths concerning the CROSS.
The terms like pleading the blood, and power in the blood and cherishing the old rugged cross are all but lost today.
• Who understands these things?
• Ask yourself what “pleading the blood” means.
• What does “cherishing the old rugged cross” mean?
• What does “power in the blood” refer to? !
To PLEAD means to advocate a case in court.
• It means to speak in favour of a certain decision.
• And in our case, pleading the blood means to point to the blood as our basis for claiming whatever we need to claim, as though we were in a court case where we claimed innocence based upon certain proofs.
• TO PLEAD THE BLOOD MEANS TO CLAIM RIGHTS to whatever we need.
• And all true Christians can do this.
True Christians baptized into Jesus death can claim the blood.
• This is so because the BLOOD is the embodiment of everything that is involved with the thought of Jesus’ death.
• We are not pointing to red fluid that flows through the veins of a body by being pumped by a heart.
• The term THE BLOOD is representative of Jesus’ death.
• When we sing power in the blood, we are not pointing to gooey, red, thick liquid from a body.
• Blood in the body means LIFE and blood out of the body means DEATH.
Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Notice that Jesus said the blood is SHED.
• That speaks of DEATH.
Jesus’ death is different than anybody else’s death.
John 12:31-33 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die.
Jesus referred to His death as drawing all men to himself.
• This means that His death would become the deaths of all people.
• People who BELIEVE the Gospel, are people who were baptized into Jesus’ death, and believe that His death became their deaths.
We all heard people say that Jesus died FOR US.
• What does that mean?
• Is it that we don’t have to die because He died for us?
• He died because we had to die.
Hebrews 9:27-28 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Because we have to die once, Christ died to bear OUR sins.
• So He died because we had to die.
• Not so that we would not have to die.
2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
When the Bible says that He died for us, it concludes that God considers US TO HAVE DIED.
When the Bible says FOR US it means AS US.
• It means we experienced it through His experience.
• Dying FOR US means WE ARE DEAD.
Now we must apply this truth to our lives today.
• We do not really believe something until we act upon it.
• ...until we apply it to ourselves in everyday experiences.
So we need to plead the blood as we go through troubles.
We will teach on this subject for a few weeks to really get this into our hearts.