Summary: To learn how to endure hardships.
Patience in Suffering
Text: James 5.1-12
Thesis: To learn how to endure hardships.
(1) We live in an age of impatience
(2) Christians will face hardships (2 Tim. 3.12).
I. Warning to the Oppressors (vv. 1-6):
A. General warnings to the rich (vv. 1-3)
1. It is hard for the rich to enter the kingdom (Luke 18.24).
2. However, it is not wrong to be rich (e.g., Abraham).
3. “Whoever trusts in his riches will fall” (Prov. 11.28).
B. Judgment is coming because of their:
1. Injustice (v. 4)
2. Selfishness (v. 5)
3. Murder (v. 6)
II. Encouragement to the Oppressed (vv. 7-12):
A. The Lord will execute judgment (vv. 7-9).
1. Be patient until He does (v. 7).
2. Take heart and know that He will (v. 8).
3. Don’t complain and argue with each other as you wait (v. 9).
4. Keep your tongue in check (v. 12).
B. Remember the past (vv. 10-11).
1. The OT prophets suffered.
2. Job suffered.
(1) God will take care of things (Rom. 12.19).
(2) If we hold on, we have better things awaiting us (Rom. 8.18).
(a) Crown of life (Rev. 2.10)
(b) “All things” (Rev. 21.7)