Summary: Paul becomes a leader
A. FIRST MISSIONARY JOURNEY – ACTS 13, 14
1. The call to service. “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them” (Acts 13:2).
a. Great Commission.
c. __________________________________ (John 15:16).
2. To Cypress
a. Reaching the ___________________________.
b. Began in synagogues.
3. The proconsul.
a. Elymas Bar-Jesus embraced sorcery. “. . . seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith” (Acts 13:8).
b. Paul used the miraculous. “. . . you shall be blind . . .” (Acts 13:1).
4. Saul’s conversion.
a. Name changed to Paul (Gentile).
b. Name occurred before Barnabas.
c. Determined to evangelize Asia Minor.
5. John Mark left. “. . . John, departing from them, returned to Jerusalem” (Acts 13:13).
a. His uncle was demoted.
b. He left comfortable culture.
c. He was never called.
d. Paul later rejected him (Acts 15:38).
6. Antioch in Pisidia.
a. Paul preached in synagogue.
b. “Almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God” (Acts 13:44).
c. He was driven out of town by envious Jews.
a. Paul healed a cripple from birth.
b. People tried to deify Paul and Barnabas.
c. They stoned Paul.
8. Did Paul die when stoned? “…they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead” (Acts 14:19).
a. Type of stoning.
b. “…caught up into Paradise . . .” (2 Cor. 12:4).
c. Immediate restoration. “He rose up and went into the city” (Acts 14:20).
d. Permanent damage? “A thorn in the flesh . . . to buffet me” (2 Cor. 12:7).
9. Derbe. “And the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe” (Acts 14:20).
10. Return to strengthen the churches. “Strengthening the souls of the disciples . . .” (Acts 14:22).
11. Established leadership. “. . . they had appointed elders in every church” (Acts 14:23).
1. The ministry follows character principle. The first foreign missionary journey was begun from a model church that was doing ministry.
2. The light draws bugs principle. Just as a light outside in the summer draws bugs, so the Light of the preached gospel draws opposition from other religious, evil sources and demonic powers.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.