Summary: How can we have the peace for which Jesus prayed?
December 10, 2000
Central Church of Christ
PEACE ON EARTH, AND IN THE CHURCH, PART TWO
This morning we talked about some of the negative hurtful effects that occur when peace is absent from the local church. We also discussed some items that rob the church of peace. Tonight we want to spend a few minutes talking some more about having peace in the church. When the angels appeared to the shepherds in the fields, to announce the birth of the Christ child, their message was:"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests." (Luke 2:14). God wants the church to be a place of peace – for only in that circumstance can there be productivity.
I. PEACE IN THE CHURCH…
A. Is desirable. Psalm 133:1 “... How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!” Romans 12:16 “Live in harmony with one another. Do
not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.” 1 Corinthians 1:10 “I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and
B. Peace can be had when…
1. Each Christian pursues peace! We must want unity – and pursue it!This may mean that we have to hold personal preferences in subjection. Ephesians 4:1-3.
2. Peace can be had when we work together for Kingdom. We keep trouble down in the church by keeping waves on the baptistery! We have service teams now in place…and more coming! Get involved in serving someone else! Philippians 2:3-4 “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”
3. Peace can be had when the Bible is our guide.1 John 1:7 “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the
blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” Let’s let our lives exhibit that Christian walk! Let the fruit of the Spirit be produced! Galatians 5:19-23.
Peace can be had when we have an attitude of self denial. Ephesians 4:31, 32 . There is not one person in this room who always gets their way in either the church, home, school, or workplace! Romans 12:10 “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
1. In truth, it is up to each individual member to carry themselves in such a way that peace is the outcome.
2. Each of us needs to commit to follow the most peaceful course.
3. It is time to reset our focus on our mission and look to the year 2001. What kind of year will it be? A year of peace? It can be if we follow God’s will.
4. Jesus came to bring peace to his followers. John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Resource: Sermons, Volume 1, C. R. Nichol