Summary: Pentecost, the birth of the church as we know it today.
Pentecost: Before and After
• the birth of Jesus ……. celebrate Christmas .
• His resurrection, & most of the world recognizes Easter .
But today is Pentecost, & hardly anyone realizes it.
NOW, WHAT IS SIGNIFICANT ABOUT PENTECOST?
• this day is important, ….. Pentecost is the birthday of the Church,
• God has given us ….. Opportunity of being a part of it.
PENTECOST IS THE DAY THE CHURCH RECEIVED POWER
The day that……..
• The believers were empowered
• The Holy Spirit ……. exploded on the scene
• All were filled with the Holy Spirit
o The body of Christ was changed forever
• The turning point in Church history
Read with me….
Act 2:1-4 [NLT] On the day of Pentecost, seven weeks after Jesus' resurrection, the believers were meeting together in one place. (2) Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm in the skies above them, and it filled the house where they were meeting. (3) Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them. (4) And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
Pentecost is ASSOCIATED WITH Power
Power can be used in at least two ways:
• it can be unleashed, or
• it can be harnessed.
• 50 litres of fuel
• The energy can be released explosively by dropping a match into the can.
• It explodes (big impact) and all the fuel is consumed…
o Some churches are like this
Church = People
o It is all about the Sunday experience
o Can’t wait to get to Church on Sunday!!!! God is there!!!
o Going to have this WOW experience….. that’s where it stops!!
o The rest of the week is dull…… nothing happens
On the other hand….
• Same 50 litres can be channelled through the engine of a motor vehicle in a controlled burn and used to transport a person 500 kilometres.
o It lasts much longer……
o It has ……”STAYING POWER”
o God is looking for a church that has sustainability
o iow….. a church that is constantly on fire
o People who are prepared to live Christ
Daily…… not just once a week!!!
• Explosions are spectacular… but controlled burns have a lasting effect, staying power
The Holy Spirit works both ways.
At Pentecost, He exploded on the scene; (as we’ve just read)
• “echos” -Of uncertain affinity; a loud or confused noise
Versus 5 –16 say….
• People from all cultures and languages
o Came running to hear and see what was going on
o All were amazed….
• Others mocked (similar to what the church is going through today)
• Peter steps forward….
o Says this was predicted years before (prophet Joel 2:28)
What was predicted about the church??
Act 2:17-21 [NLT] ‘In the last days, God said, I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams. (18) In those days I will pour out my Spirit upon all my servants, men and women alike, and they will prophesy. (19) And I will cause wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below- blood and fire and clouds of smoke. (20) The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon will turn blood red, before that great and glorious day of the Lord arrives. (21) And anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'