Summary: This is a lesson about the baptism of the Holy Spirit and why we believe.
WE BELIVE IN THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT...
By Wade Martin Hughes, Sr. Kyfingers@aol.com
1. We believe and teach One eternal God existing in three parts: FATHER, SON AND HOLY
SPIRIT. We believe the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial physical evidence as
speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance.
2. DON'T STAND AROUND GAZING AT THE SKY... EARNESTLY SEEK MORE OF GOD.
We teach that ALL believers are entitled to this wonderful gift Jesus has given. The Holy
Spirit is not for just a few leaders. He welcomes every believer to receive.
Every believer is entitle to receive and thus ARDENTLY EXPECT this precious promise.
Each believer should EARNESTLY and FERVENTLY seek this PROMISE of the Father and this
imperative command of Jesus, God's son.
The Holy Spirit is more than an optional toy, He is needed daily in our midst. You need the fullness of
the Spirit, your family needsthis, your church needs the believers to come to the promise and regularly
experience the touch of God.
The Holy Spirit allows for a good root system, stability and promotes grow. You will be a better father,
mother, child, husband, wife, and a better worker for Jesus by knowing and living in the fullness of God's
3. THE HOLY SPIRIT IS IMPORTANT AND WAS PROPHESIED IN THE BIBLE.
A. 8x's in the Old Testament the Spirit was in men...
25x's the Holy Spirit was upon men...
B. JOEL SAW THE OUTPOURING COMING... Joel 2:28-29
C. John the Baptism prepared the way for the coming of Jesus and God's Spirit...
D. Jesus told the believers to prepare for the Comforter...
4. FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO ARGUE THIS GIFT AS A ONETIME SHOT FOR THE
BABY CHURCH THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE BOOK OF ACTS...
THERE ARE 5 SPIRIT OUT POURING RANGING OVER A 20 YEAR PERIOD...
NOT JUST ONE...
(8 YEARS AFTER PENTECOST)
C. THE EPHESIAN BAPTISM --- Acts 19:1-6 (20 years after Pentecost)
D. THE SAMARIITIAN BAPTISM --- Acts 8: 14-17
In every case, on each occasion the accompanying phenomenon or external initial
evidence was SPEAKING IN TONGUES.
5. THERE ARE SOME NEW TESTAMENT CONTROLS AND RULES OF ORDER
THAT CLEARLY APPLY TO THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT...
1 Cor. 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
A. Read 1 Corinthians 14...
B. One basic rule is DECENCY AND ORDER... 1 Cor. 14:40
C. No more than 2 or 3 in a service... 1 Cor. 14:27,29
D. Focus on 1 Corinthians 14:2,3,26-40,
7. THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS A SECOND WORK OF GRACE...
A. The Bible teaches we need a clean heart... even in the Old testament...
B. Subsequent to a clean heart... they were already believers/disciples...
C. The key is clear: John 17:15-19
8. THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS NOT JUST FOR A FEW LEADERS
OR SUPER SAINTS...
A. GOD IS NO RESPECTER OF PERSONS... GIFT FOR ONE... IT IS FOR ALL...
9. THERE IS POWER IN RECEIVING THE BAPTISM...
A. Luke 24:29 Wait
B. Acts 1:4-5
C. Acts 1:8
10. THERE ARE SEVERAL TYPES OR KINDS OF TONGES IN THE NEW TESTAMENT...
A. Prayer tongues
B. Devotional tongues
C. The ability to speak in a different language
D. Message and interpretation
E. Moanings and groanings
11. ARE WE WILLING TO PREPARE OUR HEARTS TO RECEIVE GOD'S PROMISE?
A. One mind and one accord
B. Tarry UNTIL Luke 24:49
REASONS TO SEEK THE HOLY SPIRIT... THE HOLY SPIRIT IS A GREAT TOOL AND
HELPS US DO GOD'S WORK...
1. THE AUTHOR OF THE NEW BIRTH: John 3:5-6 11. TEACHES: John14:26
2. INSPIRED THE SCRIPTURE: 11 Tim. 3:16 12. REPROVES: John 16:8
6. DIRECTS WHERE OR NOT TO GO: Acts 16:6-7,10 16. DIRECT LINE TO GOD: 1 Cor. 14:2
7. THE COMFORTER: Acts 19:31 17. SIGN TO UNBELIEVER: 1 Cor. 14:22
8. SANTIFIES: Ezek. 37:18 18. MESSAGE WHEN INTERPETED: 1 Cor. 14:5
9. POWER TO WITNESS: Heb. 10:15 19. GIVES STABILITY/ROOTS
10. GIVES THE WORDS TO SAY: Acts 16:6-7 20. PROMOTES SPIRITUAL GROWTH
WE NEED SPIRITUAL DISCERNMENT: 1 Cor. 2:14-15, 1 Cor. 12:10