Summary: Continue in the things which you have learned.
OPEN YOUR BIBLES TO Matthew 24 & 2 TIM 3
1. There are a few things we notice about time…
• #1 Time just marches on… #2 – Time stops for no one.
• And #3 - Things HAVE CHANGED over the years. Consider that…
IN 1980 when the first Walkman’s came out there were $169! Now? Free Promotions
When the first VCR came out it cost over $5000! Today, DVD’s rule the scene.
YOUNG PEOPLE WHO START COLLEGE THIS YEAR WERE BORN IN 1986…
• They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and most don’t even know he had ever been shot.
• Bottle caps have not only always been screw off, but have always been plastic.
• They have no idea what a pull top can looks like.
• Atari pre-dates them, as do vinyl albums.
• The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
• They have never owned a record Player.
• Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV. -- They don’t know who Mork was or where he was from.
• McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers.
• They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
NOTE: We’re reminded that TIME MARCHES on. It moves FORWARD. And Jesus predicted that in the last times it would get worse, not better. Very intense, Very fierce. – Matthew 24:3ff
NOTE: That’s where Paul picks up here in CH3, encouraging young Timothy not to be discouraged by the signs of the times.
• REMEMBER, Paul is only days away from his own execution. He will have his life taken at the hands of Nero.
• So he’s writing to his disciple Timothy, the difficult days are coming but you can, you should stand fast in the Lord.
I. (3.1-9) Perilous Times
1. (1) Know this… Perilous Times will come.
a. I’m sure many thought the last days had already come.
b. With Nero raging, and Christians being martyred. Hiding out. Gathering underground… surely this has got to be it.
c. But Paul points even further saying that it WILL get worse.
d. Timothy, maybe you’ll see it & be caught up in the rapture.
e. Be ready for it. Don’t let your guard down.
NOTE: I believe Paul lived as if the rapture would happen in His lifetime. That was his expectation, his hope!
• AND… I believe that it will happen in my lifetime!
• I look forward to seeing the Lord Jesus Christ return! You Do?
• Hold on a second… some say! Why are you always talking about the end times, the rapture, the return of Jesus Christ?!
• What if you’re wrong? What if you’re mistaken like the many men before you? Here’s THE key.
1 John 3.2-3 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
SO WHAT about those that thought He would return in their lifetimes and He didn’t?
• Even though He didn’t come as they thought, it impacted their lives so that they left a mark on history and helped to shape the work of the Lord beyond their lifetime.
APP: If you want to live a zealous, exciting, fulfilling kind of Christian life, then look for, eagerly expect the coming of the Lord!