Summary: Peter spoke of three precious things in his epistles. Each of them should be precious to us too. The Savior is precious, our Faith is precious, and the Word of God is precious to us.
PETER’S 3 PRECIOUS THINGS
1 and 2 Pet.
A. HUMOR: The perfect solution
1. Benny is getting more and more worried about his wife Sharon's aggressive behavior towards him. So today he decides to see Doctor Levy. "How can I help you, Benny?" asks Doctor Levy. "What's your problem?"
2. "I've not come about me, doctor," replies Benny. "It's mine Sharon I've come to talk about. I just don't know how to handle her anymore. Every time I'm with her, Sharon seems to quickly lose her temper for no reason at all - and it's beginning to scare me."
3. "Don't worry Benny," says doctor Levy. "You'll be pleased to hear that curing such behavior is now no longer difficult."
"Whenever you think Sharon is beginning to loose her temper, just drink some water. But don't swallow it - just swish it around in your mouth. And keep swishing it around until Sharon calms down or else leaves the room."
4. "Thank you doctor," says Benny. "I will try it as soon as I get back home." Ten days later, Benny books another appointment to see doctor Levy. "So how is Sharon's temper problem?" asks doctor Levy.
5. "Your cure really works, doctor," replies Benny. "I've been swishing water around my mouth every time Sharon starts to get aggressive, and she's now almost normal. I can't thank you enough, doctor. But do tell me, how can a plain glass of water work so well?"
6. "I must be honest with you Benny," replies doctor Levy, "the water itself does absolutely nothing. It's you keeping your mouth shut that is the solution"
B. DEFINITION AND THESIS
1. Tonight we want to notice three precious things, that are found in the books of 1 and 2 Peter.
2. What does “precious” mean? Synonyms are “Valuable, costly, rare, prized, splendid, glorious, weighty, and influential.”
3. The word precious, as used in the Scriptures, means all of these things. Tonight I want to evaluate Peter’s three precious things and show how they’re precious to us too!
4. The title is “Three Precious Things.”
I. PRECIOUS JESUS
A. A PRECIOUS STONE
1. 4 As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” 7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” 1 Peter 2:4-7.
2. He is the origination of the whole system of salvation, the first stone laid in its building. There was only one Cornerstone. Jesus is rare.
3. In all of Heaven there was only one Jesus Christ, who was able to be the Lamb of God and take away the sins of His chosen people. There was not another man or angel in all Heaven, who was in the least wise qualified to be our redeemer.
4. He’s also the stone upon which all other stones lean, like an anchor, which stabilizes the whole structure. We can trust in Him; He will not fail us or move.