Summary: The Christian is engaged in a spiritual battle and the weapons of our warfare are spiritual.
In his book, Fuzzy Memories, Jack Handey writes, "There used to be this bully who would demand my lunch money every day. Since I was smaller, I would give it to him.
"Then I decided to fight back. I started taking karate lessons, but the instructor wanted $5 a lesson. That was a lot of money. I found that it was cheaper to pay the bully, so I gave up karate."
Too many Christians believe it’s easier to pay the bully than learn how to defeat him.
Might I add that many Christians, don’t realize they are living on a BATTLEFIELD and not a PLAYGROUND!
1. Do you remember the hymn, ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS?
a. It goes like this…
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus going on before. Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe; forward into battle see his banners go!
At the sign of triumph Satan’s host doth flee; on then, Christian soldiers, on to victory! Hell’s foundations quiver at the shout of praise; brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.
Like a mighty army moves the church of God; brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod. We are not divided, all one body we, one in hope and doctrine, one in charity.
One thing is for sure: We are SOLDIERS in the Army of Jesus Christ.
The ENEMY? Well, there’s a 3-fold assault going on against us.
· The WORLD, the FLESH, and the DEVIL.
· We have our own FLESH wanting our old life back.
· We have the WORLD trying to drag us back.
· And we have the DEVIL making sure it all goes according to plan!
It’s incredible, but our FLESH, our old nature, FIGHTS against the Spirit of God, against the things of God in our life!
Gal. 5.17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
NOTE: This carnal shell, that gets exhausted & sick, that battles fears & insecurities, that lacks faith & physical strength…
· It can be like an anchor dragging us down & away.
APP: Some of you didn’t want to be in church today. You woke up, thought about it, and actually considered skipping out.
· Some of you didn’t feel like reading your Bible this week.
· Some of you didn’t feel like praying.
· WHY? Your old person (your flesh), pulled you down.
Romans 8.22-23 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.
But the fight rages… If it’s not your flesh, it’s this world system.
· We are fighting against our old nature… and this world.
· It’s not the physical globe… but this society, this system that is separated from God.
· The world system and all it’s trappings are our enemies.
1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.
This WORLD SYSTEM is one big distracting temptation!
· We’re bombarded with PICTURES & PRODUCTS, there are ADVERTISEMENTS & ENTICEMENTS, no rules, anything goes, satisfy yourself, and don’t worry about the consequences.