Summary: We can still plead with God for His divine visitation today in various aspects of lives, but we must be prepared to fulfil the condition for His visitation.
PLEADING FOR DIVINE VISITATION
Study Text: Isaiah 64: 1 - 5
Oh that thou wouldest rend the heavens, that thou wouldest come down, that the mountains might flow down at thy presence,
2 As when the melting fire burneth, the fire causeth the waters to boil, to make thy name known to thine adversaries, that the nations may tremble at thy presence!
3 When thou didst terrible things which we looked not for, thou camest down, the mountains flowed down at thy presence.
4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.
5 Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved.
- The Bible is full of several visitation or intervention of God at the request of man.. There are individual cases of divine visitation, such as the case of Hannah and Jabez, and there are also congregational visitation by God, such as when Jehoshaphat prayed with his people, and when Elijah prayed before the people.
- God is interested in visiting individual and congregation, both in small group and in large group.
- Usually, certain things are evident before God responds to the pleading of men. Some of these includes:
1. A biblical basis for the request:
-This can either be a promise from the Bible or a previous occurrence of its kind. Acts 4:23-31: And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.
24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:
25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?
26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.
27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
- The disciples prayed and were claiming the promises of God in the scriptures, and they experienced a divine visitation. Similarly today, any promise of God in the scriptures or any thing we have seen God did in the bible, can still happen again and can form our basis for pleading for a divine visitation. I declare into your life that every promise of God you are standing on shall be done in your life in Jesus name.
2. A sincere cry from a burdened heart.
-God responds to our heart and not our mouth. If we can cry to God with all sincerity and total trust in God with a readiness to return all the glory to God at the end. Ps 85:6-7: Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?
7 Shew us thy mercy, O LORD, and grant us thy salvation.
- Some years back to the glory of God, a young couple came to church and they had no child for five years. I was moved by the Holy Spirit and sensed that the hand of the devil was upon their lives. I prayed in the name of Jesus, the yoke of the devil was broken over their lives, and I made a declaration that the woman will became pregnant within three month. By the second month, the power of the Holy Ghost came upon her and she became pregnant, and nine months later she gave birth to a bouncing baby boy. I also pray for you today, what so ever has been difficult in your life, the power of the Holy Ghost will visit you to perform it speedily to the glory of His name in Jesus name.
3. A life of absolute purity.
- Sin or disobedience to God and His word is a major obstacle to divine visitation. But where there is absolute purity and total obedience, God is attracted there. God rejected Saul due to his disobedience and told him He had sought for Himself a man after His own heart. David also sinned against God, but he had a prepared heart to humble himself unto repentance. Ps 24:3-6: Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?