Summary: A sound mind is very essential and important in living the Christian life. RIGHT THINKING LEADS TO CORRECT LIVING. The heart refers to our Emotions and Feelings whereas the mind refers to our Thoughts, Thinking, Imaginations, Comprehension and Logical Reasoning.
TITLE: PLEASE, DON’T FEED THE FEARS
SCRIPTURE: II TIMOTHY 1:7
I don’t know how you feel about this Political Environment but it is beginning to wear on me. It seems as though there is something new going on and addressed in the media on a daily basis. To be honest I can’t wait for November to arrive and conclude the vote for our next President and put it in the history books. Don’t worry, I am not going to use this time this morning in an attempt to lead us as to who we should vote for, that’s not what the pulpit is for.
I do believe there is a spirit that has begun to move across our nation to cause some to fear and make a political decision based upon fear.
• Fear of Terrorist Attack
• Fear of Stock Market Crash
• Fear that Guns will be taken away from law abiding citizens
• Fear that Second Amendment will be Abolished
• Fear that our Nation is on the Decline
• Fear of those that don’t look or think like us
• When did we become such a Scary and Fearful Nation?
I have a simple message this morning and a reminder we need to keep our focus on the Word of God. The writer of this text reminds us we must have a sound mind through it all. Christ recognized His disciples had times where they battled with fear – as we all do from time to time.
• Fear is a powerful emotion the devil can take advantage of in our lives
• Fear is an emotion that makes us extremely vulnerable to spiritual attack
We wonder how so many in our nation can be following a particular Presidential candidate with some of the strange and blatant things that are being stated. We don’t need to wonder, for the answer is found in the Word of God. The adversary, the devil will take our fear, that emotion and use it to take charge of our lives and our thinking.
• Fear is linked with a lack of both faith and the fear or reverence of the Lord
• When we are afraid, we are not trusting God and often, fearing something or someone other than God!
• Fear is one of the main weapons the enemy uses to torment us and to dictate feelings and behavior
• God has much to say to those who struggle with the spirit of fear
A sound mind is very essential and important in living the Christian life. RIGHT THINKING LEADS TO CORRECT LIVING. The heart refers to our Emotions and Feelings whereas the mind refers to our Thoughts, Thinking, Imaginations, Comprehension and Logical Reasoning. Having a sound mind is very important because we move, make decisions and act according to the perception and comprehension of the mind. As the saying goes “What you think -- you are” and our eternity depends on “What think ye of Christ?” The believer should earnestly pray for a sound mind.
• As a young man I prayed for riches, wealth, corporate job, travel
• As a young Pastor, I prayed for mega Church, big cars and TV ministry
• Now, at 55 years of age, I pray for Peace of Mind and a Sound Mind
• I know understand how important that is and how many don’t possess it
I want to share with us this morning a simple thought – PLEASE, DON’T FEED THE FEARS. During these hot summer months we are experiencing across the country, every now and then I catch on the news that a bear was caught and videoed taking a dip in a family swimming pool trying to get relief from the heat. Oftentimes you see the mother bear with her Cubs.
• News reporter tells the families and neighborhood as cute as the cubs may be – Please, Don’t Feed the Bears
• Feeding the Bears can cause a sense of Domestication and they will continue to return
• Feeding the Bears will cause them to continue to return looking for food
• Feeding the Bears can change their nature and bring them out of wilderness into communities
Isn’t that how fear works? If we continue to Feed our Fear, we will continue to return to it, time and time again. If we continue to feed our Fear, it will change our nature from the nature and things of God. If we continue to feed our fear we will not live in victory. Jesus said in ST. JOHN 10:10 “THE THIEF COMETH NOT, BUT FOR TO STEAL, AND TO KILL, AND TO DESTROY: I AM COME THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE LIFE, AND THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY.”
• When Gods people are free from fear, they can walk in power, authority, and victory!