Summary: Many people are doing things that are displeasing to God. Few are pleasing Him. Pleasing Him is the most profitable thing a man can do.
1 Thessalonians 4:1 "Bible Passage"
Many people are doing things that are displeasing to God. Few are pleasing Him. Pleasing Him is the most profitable thing a man can do.
I. Those Who Are Not Pleasing God.
A. They that live for themselves.
1. In Romans 15:1-3, we are told that we ought not to please ourselves, for even Christ pleased not Himself.
2. Matthew 20:28 - He came not to be ministered unto, but to minister...
3. Self is all the God they worship. Self is their satisfaction. Those wrapped up in themselves cannot properly worship God.
B. They that seek to please men are not pleasing to God.
1. Galatians 1:10 - ...do I seek to please men? For if I yet please men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
2. James 4:4 - ...a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
1. Romans 8:9 - But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit...
D. They that have no faith.
1. Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please him...
2. Christ is always pleased when He sees faith.
II. Those Who Are Pleasing To God.
A. Those who ask right things from the Lord.
1. 1 Kings 3:9 - And the speech pleased the Lord... Solomn asked for an understanding heart to discern between good and bad, and the speech pleased the Lord. God also said in verse 13, "I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour."
B. The separated unto God.
1. 2 Timothy 2:4 - No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. God wants us to be a separated people. 2 Corinthians 6:14-17, and Titus 2:11-18.
C. THe wholly yielded.
1. Hebrews 13:21 - ...working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight..."
2. Romans 12:1 - Present your bodies a living sacrifice...
Not so in haste, my heart;
Have faith in God, and wait;
Although He linger long,
He never comes too late.
D. Those who walk with God.
E. Those that praise God.
1. Psalm 69:30,31 - I will praise the name of God...this shall please the Lord.
2. Psalm 146:2 - While I live will I praise the Lord...
III. Promises To Those Who Please God.
A. His enemies will be at peace with him.
1. Proverbs 16:7 - When a man’s ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
B. His prayers shall be answered.
1. 1 John 3:22 - And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
C. He will have an everlasting name.
1. Isaiah 56:4,5 - Choose the things that please me...and I will give them an everlasting name....
Pleasing God is following the example of Jesus Christ, our Lord. He said, "I do always those things pleasing to my Father." And "If it be Thy will, let this cup pass from me, nevertheless, not my will, but Thine be done." We should be very careful to keep His commandments and do those things pleasing in His sight.