Summary: Most Christians don’t realize how much the enemy has stolen. Even if they do, they often don’t know how to get it back. David "plundered" the Philistines camp after his victory over Goliath. We can do the same because Jesus has defeated our enemy.
Introduction: I have been talking about foundations for the entire year. Today I am going to share with you another foundational truth about warfare.
When we receive Jesus as our Lord and Savior, it is much like enlisting in the army. You become a solider whether you want to admit it or not. If you are not a warrior, then the enemy certainly sees you that way because he sees that you have chosen a side. You have chosen to serve the living God who he is opposed to in every way.
There are many principles of warfare, more than I could talk about in one message, but the one thing I do want to focus on is “What do you do after you win the victory?”
This is where I believe many Christians give up and never posses the land or place that God has for them
I want you to look at 1 Samuel 17:48-55.
Here is the very familiar story of David and Goliath. I don’t think I have to go into details about the actual battle between the two of them. It is right simple. David by faith took a small stone, slung it into the forehead of the giant, and he fell. David then proceeded to kill him.
There are many principals that we can learn from this, but the part that I am interested in is what happened next!
The title of this message is: “Plundering The Enemies Camp”.
The very simple question I want to ask you today is…what have you taken back from the enemy that he has taken from you?
I. Jesus Has Already Slew Our Giant
1. Just as David slew the Giant, Jesus defeated Satan on the cross of Calvary. He did not do it with a stone, but with the cross.
2. Jesus won the victory for us, but just as when David killed Goliath, the battle was not completely over.
i. 1 Samuel 17:51b-52 (NIV) When the Philistines saw that their hero was dead, they turned and ran. 52 Then the men of Israel and Judah surged forward with a shout and pursued the Philistines to the entrance of Gath and to the gates of Ekron. Their dead were strewn along the Shaaraim road to Gath and Ekron.
3. Verse 52 says that the men of Israel, the same ones that were afraid to face the Philistines and Goliath their giant now surged forward with a “Shout” and pursued the Philistines all the way to the gates of Ekron.
4. Jesus has chased the enemy away from us so that he has no power over us but only what we allow him.
i. Matthew 16:18 (KJV) And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
5. The gates of hell shall not prevail against whom…the church!
6. Folks we are on the winning team. Jesus scored the winning blow to Satan when he died on the cross.
7. He has provided for us freedom from the penalty of sin and has commanded us to advance into the enemy’s territory.
II. If We Have The Victory, Why Does It Seem We Are The Ones Always On The Run?
1. I guarantee if I were to ask anyone here today if we have the victory in Jesus, the answer would be unanimously yes.
2. Later in private, many of you would confess to me that although you know that you have the victory; it sure does not seem like it in your life based on your current circumstances.
3. What is wrong? Has something failed? Has Jesus given up on you? The answer is, yes something is wrong, no nothing or no one has failed, and No Jesus has not given up on you!
4. You know the story of David and Goliath and the victory that David had, but do you know what was going on before David slew the giant?
5. Earlier in Chapter 17, we see that Goliath would come out every day and shout to the ranks of Israel to send out someone to fight him. Look what verses 10-11 say.
i. 1 Samuel 17:10-11 (NIV) 10 Then the Philistine said, "This day I defy the ranks of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other." 11 On hearing the Philistine’s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified.
6. Notice here that all of Israel was terrified! Fear has its way of keeping us from what God has for us. Fear is the opposite of Faith. Were not these the Children of God? Wasn’t God on their side? YES, YES, YES!
7. This went on for 40 days, with the giant coming out and defying Israel.