Summary: This message is meant to encourage the Church to seek God’s power for ministry and to be a verbal witnesses of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
POWER FOR MINISTRY
A. It was good to see our space shuttle crew get back safely, was it not! But I want you to think about this
1. Two years plus had gone by since the last space shuttle mission
2. Billions of dollars of equipment, safety improvements, crew training and preparation went into getting the shuttle back on the launching pad
3. What if everything was ready, if everything was in place but there was no fuel
4. The energy needed to get the mission up and bring it back a success was not there
5. In effect all would be a total waste.
6. Without the fuel, that which provides the energy to project the shuttle up into orbit, there is no way it could accomplish its mission
B. As we look at the book of Acts this morning we know that Jesus has been crucified, buried, raised from the dead and ascended back to His Father
1. The disciples have been given the command to make disciples, baptize them and teach them the words of our Lord
2. They are presently sitting around in a small room waiting – they have everything they need to do the mission except one critical element – the power to perform
3. All is wasted if the means to provide the energy and power is not present
4. They are waiting on the promise – the giving of the Comforter – the Holy Spirit
C. In Acts chapter 2 we read of an incident that is known as Pentecost
1. Ten days after Christ’s ascension back into heaven, 50 days after His resurrection.
2. On this day the church of the living God was empowered to do the task that was set before her by the Lord.
3. The Spirit is the Power for Ministry!
D. As we look at our passage I want to note 3 aspects of this Power for Ministry
1. The Source of the Power
2. The Manifestations of the Power
3. The Productivity of the Power
4. Today we need Power for Ministry and it is still available – the Holy Spirit is still the Power for Ministry!
As we read these following words I want you to think about our church and about your own lives. How are we ever going to do the Lord’s will? What is
I. THE SOURCE OF THE POWER, Acts 2:1-4 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.  And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost,…
A. The Day of Pentecost
1. Often the focus of this day is on the prophetic or miraculous
2. There is no doubt that it was prophesied
a. It was pictured in Leviticus 23
1) Leviticus 23:16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the Lord.
2) This offering known as Pentecost was to be 50 days after the feast of first fruits
a) Of which Christ is spoken of in 1 Cor. 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.
b) At the feast of first fruits a sheaf was to be waved, symbolic of Christ
3) At Pentecost the wave offering was to be two loaves – a union of Christ and those who would follow – it was a celebration of the harvest
b. It was pronounced by Jesus
1) John 15:26-27 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:  And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.
2) Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
3. And it was Miraculous
a. Sound of mighty rushing wind
b. Appearance of cloven tongues of fire
c. Man what an experience!
4. But something is often over looked in all of this
B. The Source of the Power – …there came…from heaven…and all were filled with the Holy Ghost
1. This is the only place the power can come from!
2. For the church today it is not so important to look at the prophetic or miraculous, but rather the source!