Summary: God wants us to live in the fullness of His power after being saved. When we are filled with His Spirit, we cannot but operate in the supernatural.
POWER FOR THE SUPERNATURAL
Study Text: Luke 5: 15 - 16
- You can live a life of extraordinary, supernatural power! The secret is actually quite simple. God's power is obtained through a lifestyle of intimacy with Him.
- Jesus understood the connection between power and intimacy. So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed.
- Jesus was constantly flowing in the power of God and releasing it through His life to others. The level of His anointing was in direct proportion to His prayer life.
- You need to continually develop a lifestyle of intimacy with God. Not only will you experience His tremendous power, but you will also enjoy getting to know Him, walking closely with Him and learning the secrets of His heart. You will discover that fellowship with Him is the greatest joy a person can experience.
- God’s supernatural power is a part of the Life given to us by Jesus . It’s what enables us to be sanctified, to become partakers of Christ’s Life, and what empowers us to overcome the world, the ﬂesh, and the devil.
- Let’s delve into the empowering aspect of God’s Life (His dunamis power). Let’s explore what it is; how we get it; and, how we learn to depend upon it.
A. What Is God’s Supernatural Power?
- What exactly is God’s supernatural power and how does it manifest itself in our lives?
- God’s divine power was manifested in the Old Testament by miraculous deeds. A special and sometimes temporary anointing often accompanied these miracles, for example, as with Moses, Samson, Elijah, Elisha, and so on.
- The second aspect of God’s divine power is called “the power of Christ’s resurrection”: “That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death” (Philippians 3:10).
- This power is given to every believer by the Holy Spirit at his new birth—it is part of the Life of God that He has instilled and sealed in our hearts.
- Consequently this supernatural power resides in every Christian, but it requires a submitted and sanctified life in order to partake of it.
- Just like God’s Love, it can be quenched and blocked by emotional and “fleshly” choices.
- Paul prayed for the saints at Ephesus to know this kind of resurrection power: “That the eyes of your understanding [may] be enlightened; that ye may know  what is the hope of His calling, and  what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and  what is the exceeding greatness of His power towards us who believe” (Ephesians 1:18–19).
- The “hope of His calling” (our inheritance in Christ) and “the riches of His inheritance” (our future blessings in the kingdom) are linked here with the “exceeding greatness of His power.”
- God’s challenge to all of us is that we must learn to partake of, rely upon, and be controlled by the exceeding greatness of His power. And, by so doing, we’ll not only apprehend the hope of His calling, but also the riches of His future inheritance.