Summary: Jesus has given every believer unlimited and general power of attorney in all matters and with the right to use his name in every situation.
POWER IN THE NAME OF JESUS
Study Text: Mark 16: 17 - 18
- Every child of God is born to be a wonder to the world. According to John 3:8, everyone born of the spirit is born a living wonder.
- Mark 16:17-18 says” And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” By divine ordination, every child of God is born a sign and wonder.
- Isaiah 8: 18 says “Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion”.
- It is clear that to be a sign and wonder you need to carry Jesus everywhere you go. The name of Jesus is so full of wonders and engaging that name ‘Jesus’ is one way to evoke signs and wonders to flow in our life.
- In Acts 3: 6 Peter had no money to give the lame man but with the name of Jesus he was able to do wonders and the lame man got up and began to walk. The name of Jesus can bring anybody out from issues of life.
- You need to know how to engage the name of Jesus to see wonders in your life. There is healing, protection, blessing in the name of Jesus.
- The name of Jesus is key to answered prayers, when you pray to God in the name of Jesus, you grab God’s attention.
- The name of Jesus opens the doors of heaven (John 14:12). The name of Jesus is anointed, the name of Jesus destroys yokes, demons are subjected to the name.
- When you engage that name against the operation of the enemy, the anointing goes forth to fight on your behalf.
- The name of Jesus guarantees peace in troubled times. There is counsel in that name so when your soul is troubled, call upon the name of Jesus. The bible calls Him the Prince of peace.
- With the name of Jesus in your hand, a new day dawns on your life. With faith in the name of Jesus, there is a change of story for you!
- The bible says in that the signs will follow those that believe, the name puts you in command of every situation in your life. When we engage the name of Jesus in faith, miracles, signs and wonders will follow.
- The depth of understanding you have in the name of Jesus will determine the result you get when you make use of the name.
- Your spiritual understanding of the name of Jesus is key to experiencing your signs and wonders, the name of Jesus is full of wonders.
- We shall discuss the topic under three sub-headings:
1. The Peculiarity of the Name of Jesus
2. The Power of the Name of Jesus
3. The Possessions through the Name of Jesus
1. The Peculiarity of the Name of Jesus Phil 2: 9 - 11
- Each of us possesses a name given to us by our parents. Whatever the reason and however you came by your name, there is probably no great significance behind your name.
- In our text, we are told of a name that does have great significance. The name of Jesus stands out as a name above all other names.
- Why is it a name above every other name?
1. It is a Special Name
- It is special because:
i. It Is A Name Picked By The Father
- The name Jesus was not given to our Lord by Mary and Joseph. It was a name handpicked by God, Matt. 1:21.
- This alone makes it a name that stands out as special. A name that is worthy of further investigation.
ii. It Is A Name That Points Back To The Father
- The name Jesus means, "Jehovah Is Salvation." This precious, sweet name reveals a side of Jesus that many fail to grasp. While God is a God of wrath and judgment, He is purely and wholly love, 1 John 4:8; 16.
- God is love and everything He does is an outgrowth and an expression of His love. Therefore, when the Father sent Jesus to come into the world, He was sending a message to humanity. It was a message that said, "I have not forgotten, nor forsaken you. I love you and I give you my Son who will reveal me to you." (John 14:9)
iii. It Is A Name That Reveals God's Purpose