Summary: God and His creation are bound together by powerful, gracious words and when God speaks amazing things happen.
Power Of the Word
1. There is no way to miss the Power of the Word. God and His creation are bound together by powerful, gracious Words. God speaks and amazing things happen.
2. John begins the story of Jesus with: “In the beginning was the Word,”
3. The writer of Hebrews says, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (4:12)
4. Our prayer is to excite you about the Word and the difference it can make in your life. The very first chapter of the Bible sets the tone of the Power of the Word:
IT HAS THE POWER TO CREATE
A. In verses 3,6,9,11,14,20,24,26,29 we see the power of the word displayed in "God said."
B. It is amazing to see the avenue for spreading the gospel was through words to be spoken to all creation.
Mark 16:15 "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.
C. Through those words is the power to make us a new creation.
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
IT HAS THE POWER TO SEPARATE
A. In verses 4,6,7,14,18 the power of the word could separate light and darkness, sky and water.
B. Those same words have the power to separate us from the world of darkness into the holiness of His presence. As he called the children of Israel He calls us today to be holy.
Leviticus 11:45 I am the LORD who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy.
1 Peter 1:16 for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
IT HAS THE POWER TO GATHER
A. In verses 9,10 the power of the word gathered the sky and the seas.
B. Again the power of God called Israel.
Hosea 11:1 "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.
C. And He calls us out of the darkness.
2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.
1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
IT HAS THE POWER TO PRODUCE
A. In verses 11,24 the power of the word produces vegation and animals.
B. If the power of the word can produce these things how much more can the Spirit of God produce His fruit in our lives and change us to be more in His image..
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness and self-control.
IT HAS THE POWER TO BLESS
A. In verses 22, 28 the power of the word blesses His creation.
B. God blesses us in a dynamic way.
Ephesians 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
IT HAS THE POWER TO PROVIDE
A. In verse 29, the word provides the necessities of life.
B. An incredible statemnet is made by Abraham after God asked him to give his son of promise. Going to the mountain to offer the sacrifice, Isaac asked his father "where is the lamb." Abraham replied, "God will provide." Genesis 22:8.
C. The power of the word has that capability for us today.
Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
1. The Bible begins with God speaking words so power as to create something from nothing.
2. That theme is carried throughout the entire Word. It has the power to work in your life.
3. Be in the Word for this coming New year.