Summary: How can I always keep my word?
Practice Purity of Speech
PROPOSITION: Because Christ is holy, you must practice purity of speech.
I. Avoid using oaths as a matter of speech.
A. Understand the significance of your speech.
1. Oaths are not intrinsically wrong.
2. Oaths are serious business.
B. Be careful not to make rash oaths.
1. Don’t swear by anything in God’s dominion.
2. Don’t swear by an oath indiscriminately.
3. Don’t use an oath to support your speech. Matt 5:34-37
II. Employ a devotion to the truth with your speech.
A. Your speech must convey truthfulness.
1. Speak with absolute honesty and faithfulness.
2. Evasive swearing is intended to hide a lying heart.
3. Integrity of one’s life should support his speech.
B. Your speech must not convey hypocrisy.
1. MOTIVATION: The soon return of the Lord and the Judge is at the door.
2. REASON: Those looking for the Christ’s second coming are pure in their speech.