Summary: 1. Where We Are To Praise 2. What we Are To Praise 3. How Are We To Praise 4. whom We Are To Praise 5. Why Praise The Lord
- Fanny Crosby (1820-1915 was probably the most prolific hymnist in history.
Though blinded by an incompetent doctor at six weeks of age, she wrote over 8,000 hymns.
About her blindness, she said:
It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for this time. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me.
In her lifetime, Fanny Crosby was one of the best known women in the United States. To this day, the vast majority of American hymnals contain her work.
- VIDEO – I Will Praise You In This Storm
Where Is My Focus?
- If we allow difficulties & problems to rob us of praise we will never enter into praise
- Praising the Lord will take our focus off ourselves and unto God
- Psalm 85:6–8 (AV)
— 6 Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee? 7 Shew us thy mercy, O LORD, and grant us thy salvation. 8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.
- Last of the five Psalms begin and end with Praise Ye the Lord
- Each Psalm increases in praise, love & joy
- Ending like crescendo of fireworks of rapid-fire booms and burst of cascading shower of light
- Ps 150 – "Praise Him" - 13X
- Every verse & sentence gives praise
- Celebration, honoring and adoration of God
- Praise (Hallelujah) – Shine, flash forth [Boast]
Hebrews 13:15–16 (AV)
— 15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. 16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
v1. Where We Are To Praise?
- "Praise God in his sanctuary"
- More than just the just a place of worship
- We are the temple of God
- As his temple we are in aw of His
- KJV .... praise him in the firmament of his power
- NET .... Praise him in the sky, which testifies to his strength
- Firmament in Gen. 1:8 called heaven
Just Look Up
- Compare the earth to the sun
-Then compare the sun to the largest star we know
- VY Canis Majoris
- VIDEO - 08 Largest Star Discovered
v.2 What We Are to Praise
- "His mighty acts" & "excellent Greatness"
• His ongoing care
• Redemptive work at the cross
• Preparing eternity for those in Christ
v.3-5 How Are We To Praise
- Looks like you have to be musical
- Like New Years Eve attitude
- Every conceivable instrument is used
- We praise with all that we have
- Ephesians 5:18–19 (AV)
— 18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Ephesians 5:19–20 (The Message)
— 19 Sing hymns instead of drinking songs! Sing songs from your heart to Christ. 20 Sing praises over everything, any excuse for a song to God the Father in the name of our Master, Jesus Christ.
- Ps 1 begins with a declaration
- Ps 150 Ends in a celebration of praise
v.6 Whom Are We To Praise
- It's not your favorite sport
- Nor is it your favorite tech gadget
- Nor brag about what you have or what you are doing
Psalm 148:7–11 (AV)
7 Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps: 8 Fire, and hail; snow, and vapour; stormy wind fulfilling his word: 9 Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars: 10 Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl: 11 Kings of the earth, and all people; princes, and all judges of the earth:
Revelation 5:13 (AV)
13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
- v.6 - I am to give praise to the Lord
Why Praise The Lord
1. Praise Honors The Lord
- Praise is commanded approximately 250x
- To appreciate Him
Psalm 50:23 (AV) — 23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.