Summary: Luke 18:1 ...men ought always to pray, and not to faint --- Four Things for Prayer 1. A Need 2. A Time 3. A Place 4. A Focus
1 Thess 5:17 - Pray without ceasing
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;
36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
- Luke records 9 occasions when Jesus prayed
- Jn. 17 Records the greatest prayer ever prayed
1. Baptism - Lk 3:21
2. After a day of miracles - Lk 5:15-16
3. Before choosing his disciples - Lk 6:12-13
4. Who He is & of his coming death - Lk 9:18-22
5. On the mount of transfiguration - Lk 9:28-29
6. When the 70 returned Lk 10:17-22
7. Before teaching His disciples to pray Lk 11:1
8. In Gethsemane Lk 22:39-41
9. On the Cross - Lk 23:33-34
- Jesus prayed in the morning at the gateway of the day
- In the evening when the workday was over
- Great crises was proceeded by prayer
- Great achievements were proceeded by prayer
- Great achievements were followed by prayer
- Great pressure of work was a call to extra prayer
- Great sorrows was meet by prayer
- He died praying
- Prayer a habit to cultivate and a presence to enjoy
Four Things for Prayer
❶ A NEED - Men ought (owe It, – It’s a necessity)
1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
Prayer Is Desirable.
"Men ought to pray."
They ought to pray, just as they ought to work and eat.
- Men ought to deal fairly with God, as they ought to deal fairly with their fellowmen. It is their duty and privilege
❷ A TIME
— Always to Pray - Luke 18:1KJV
1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint
Prayer Is a Constant Thing
He ought to keep on praying, just as he keeps on desiring.
Men ought to exercise their bodies daily to be healthy
- So ought they to exercise their souls with God.
- Continue in work if you wish to grow rich in the world’s goods.
- Continue in prayer if you would grow rich in faith and grace.
Prayer Is a Testing Thing - "And not to faint."
Prayer Is a Profitable Thing - "Men ought always to pray"
- He is willing to give.
As a proof of this, see the little parable in verses Lk 18:2-7
— Daily - Psalm 86:3KJV
3 Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.
— Three Times Psalm 55:17KJV
17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
— Seven Times Psalm 119:164KJV
164 Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments.
❸ A PLACE
8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
— A Hard Place - Depths - Psalm 130:1KJV Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD
— A Bad Place - Dungeon - Lamentations 3:55KJV
55 I called upon thy name, O LORD, out of the low dungeon.
— A Impossible Possible Place
- A worst case scenario
- Jonah 2:1KJV
1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish’s belly,
❹ A FOCUS
— For Men - 1 Timothy 2:1KJV
1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
— To Know Truth
— To Be Saved - 1 Timothy 2:4KJV
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
— Toward God - 1 Timothy 2:5-6KJV
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Help In Remembering to Pray
The National Day of Prayer Task Force is encouraging you to place a small red dot on your watch, cell phone, steering wheel, computer monitor, calendar or bathroom mirror - anyplace where you will see it often. The dot serves as a reminder to pray for America’s upcoming elections.