Summary: How to pray and find peace (in a world of worries, war, politicians and propaganda)
Problems, peace and prayer WBC Sun 16 Feb 2003 am Phil
A world with superpowers and states causing wars
A hostile world, with crooked people after their own gain, not considering the needs of others… the rights of the human being
Christians in doubt and fear- and danger of persecution. Being locked up in parts of the world for trying to help people and set them free!
KEY Christian voices all but suppressed- don’t talk about Jesus
- some of the ‘star leaders in prison’ for just that
Squabbles and disagreeing: often outside the church, certainly in the workplace… people hard to work with.
- even squabbling within the church. People not agreeing, and some thinking they were better and ‘more spiritual’ than others
That was the world of the book of Philippians
Rome- the Superpower that did whatever it wanted
- Paul imprisoned there, and writing form there (we’re at the end of book of Acts)
In fact- lots of Paul’s contact with them was prison based
- Acts 16. Having converted Lydia, they help/deliver a sooth-saying slave girl and get chucked in prison
Philippians were being attacked, too (1:29)
- maybe persecution by the Powers that be,. Or Judaisers
2:15 describes the world & culture as crooked and depraved
And the troubles… pressures… problems had even found their way into church
- 4:2 2 ladies squabbling. Ch 2 their ‘spirituality’ was causing division
(still! Church is by far the best place to be!-
Don’t ride in an auto – they cause 20 percent of all fatal accidents.
Do not stay at home – 17 percent of all accidents happen there.
Do not walk in the street – 15 percent of all accidents happen to pedestrians.
Do not travel by air, rail or water – 16 percent of all accidents result from these activities.
But only .001 percent of all accidents happen in church!
days of fear, worry, uncertainty, anxiety
- sounds familiar? Your work, relationships, world… church (?X)
And here’s the question:
- how should we be GOD’s people, and how should we PRAY in days like these?
1) “rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all”
Now listen, I’m not trying to get you into ‘denial’ or some form of Christian psychosis
- or be ‘flippant’ about the gravity of your or the world’s situations
o they world’s circumstances are GRAVE. Yours may be
But we are to be different in the way we meet problems
- we are to rejoice!
o In the circumstances? In suffering/trouble?! You masochist!
Because God CAN work in all things
• They were Xians because of Paul’s 1st imprisonment!
o But mainly: IN the Lord
Yes- keep your chin up. Not just because it does you good (PMA)
- but because of Jesus. “rejoice IN THE LORD”
- “God is good to me, God is good to me…..”
- He loves you, has saved you… will save you (He will come and save you)
- 1 Thess 4:13 ‘don’t grieve like those who have no hope’
o not about life, work, worries, problems, politicians, propaganda or war
- 1 Cor 10: nothing has befallen us… will befall us… apart from that which is common to man (and JESUS went through)
And- see how people have faced the worst! Draw courage and hope from them: