Summary: Martha chose to "work", Mary chose to "worship". What is the most important thing?
Worship – The Most Important Thing
I was so hungry coming to church this morning I decided to go to McDonalds before coming to church and ordered a cheeseburger meal deal
• Got it right here in this bag – thought I would eat it right now
• Got the napkin, got the Ketchup, got the straw for my drink, here’s my drink, here’s my fries, Oh, no! Where is the cheeseburger?
• “I must have left it behind”
• Must have got so distracted by getting all this other stuff, I left the most important thing behind
• Has that ever happened to you, where you became so involved with what you were doing, you forgot to do the most important thing
• Vicky closing up the pram with the baby inside and putting them both in the boot
• She got so busy with what she was doing she too forgot the most important thing – the baby
Today we are going to look at a story of two women – and one of these women forgot the most important thing
• Luke 10:38-43 (NKJV) 38 Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving,
• So we have one woman, Mary who sat at Jesus’ feet listening to Jesus’ word
• And we have another woman, Martha, who was busy rushing around trying to be the perfect hostess
• and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”
• Most of you kids have probably heard your mum’s say, “Okay, it time for bed, put all the toys away and go brush your teeth!”
• And your brother or sister head straight to the bathroom to clean their teeth and you are left to clean up the mess in the family room by yourself
• Has that ever happened to you? “That happened to me all the time, I was a poor neglected child”
• Well, this is how Martha felt – she was doing all the work and Mary was just sitting there “listening to Jesus”
• Now let me ask you a question? Was there anything wrong with being a good hostess like Martha? No
• Was there anything wrong with being a good worshipper like Mary? No
So what was the problem?
• The problem was there is a time to “work” and there is a time to “worship”
• You kids face this same problem all the time while you are at school.
• What are you at school to do? To “learn”
• What do you want to do instead? “Play”
• And the teachers have to keep reminding you why you are at school
• And so Jesus very kindly says to Martha, there is a time to “work” and there is a time to “Worship”
• 41 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”
• Jesus was saying, “Right now with me here, the most important thing you can do is worship. You may think bustling around doing all this hostess stuff is the most important thing to do, but spending time with me as Mary has done is the “good part”