Summary: This is a message emphasizing the need for praying for our country (United States) and basic principles on how to effectively pray for her.
• “Man is never so tall as when he kneels before God-never so great as when he humbles himself before God. And the man who kneels to God can stand up to anything”. -Louis H. Evans
• “Prayer is not conquering God’s reluctance, but taking hold of God’s willingness.”
• “The great tragedy of life is not unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer.”
• “Behind every work of God you will always find some kneeling form.”
-Dwight L. Moody
I. PRAYING FOR AMERICA MUST BEGIN WITH AN UNDERSTANDING OF WHERE HER FREEDOM COMES FROM.
(13) "Now if I have indeed found favor in Your sight, please teach me Your ways, and I will know You and find favor in Your sight. Now consider that this nation is Your people.”
A. America’s freedom comes from the Lord.
1. (2 Corinthians 3:17 HCSB) “ Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”
2. (John 8:36 HCSB) “ Therefore if the Son sets you free, you really will be free.”
B. America’s freedom must be grounded in steadfast obedience to the Word of God.
1. (James 1:25 HCSB) “ But the one who looks intently into the perfect law of freedom and perseveres in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer who acts—this person will be blessed in what he does.”
2. ( John 8:32 HCSB) “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
II. PRAYING FOR AMERICA MUST BEGIN WITH THE RECOGNITION THAT THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT WILL DESTROY HER.
(14) "Then He replied, “My presence will go [with you], and I will give you rest.” (15) “If Your presence does not go,” Moses responded to Him, “don’t make us go up from here.
A. Sin is an enemy that will destroy America.
1. (Proverbs 14:34 HCSB) “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.”
2. (Judges 2:11-14 HCSB) “The Israelites did what was evil in the Lord’s sight. They worshiped the Baals and abandoned the Lord, the God of their fathers, who had brought them out of Egypt. They went after other gods from the surrounding peoples and bowed down to them. They infuriated the Lord, for they abandoned Him and worshiped Baal and the Ashtoreths. The Lord’s anger burned against Israel, and He handed them over to marauders who raided them. He sold them to the enemies around them, so that they could no longer resist their enemies.”
B. Prayerlessness is an enemy that will destroy America.
1. (Ezekiel 22:30-31 HCSB) “I searched for a man among them who would repair the wall and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land so that I might not destroy it, but I found no one. So I have poured out My indignation on them and consumed them with the fire of My fury. I have brought their actions down on their own heads.” [This is] the declaration of the Lord God.”
2. God does nothing but in answer to prayer.
III. PRAYING FOR AMERICA MUST BEGIN WITH A TOTAL COMMITMENT OF OURSELVES TO CERTAIN THINGS:
(16)" How will it be known that I and Your people have found favor in Your sight unless You go with us? I and Your people will be distinguished [by this] from all the other people on the face of the earth.” (17) The Lord answered Moses, “I will do this very thing you have asked, for you have found favor in My sight, and I know you by name.” (18) Then Moses said, “Please, let me see Your glory.”
A. The will of God being fulfilled in the world of men.
1. (Matthew 6:9-13 HCSB) “Therefore, you should pray like this: Our Father in heaven, Your name be honored as holy. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. • Amen.]”
B. The Will of God being done in our own lives.
1. (Psalms 119:45 HCSB) “ I will walk freely in an open place because I seek Your precepts.”
2. (Galatians 5:13 HCSB) “ For you are called to freedom, brothers; only don’t use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but serve one another through love.”
C. The Choice to return to God in the areas in which we have strayed.
1. (Jeremiah 2:21 HCSB) “ I planted you, a choice vine from the very best seed. How then could you turn into a degenerate, foreign vine?”