Summary: We can learn a few things from Paul’s prayer life.
1. Prayer… our lifeline with God.
a. Doesn’t it just stir your heart that the God of all the universe hears & answers & attends to our prayers?!
Isaiah 58:9 (NKJV) 9 Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’ “If you take away the yoke from your midst, The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
Psalm 91:15 (NKJV) 15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.
NOTE: We find Jesus often getting away in times of prayer.
Matthew 14:23 (NKJV) 23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there.
• He knew where His strength came from.
• And He modeled for us the place to run in times of fullness, in times of need, in times of strength, in times of weakness.
• Prayer… it’s our lifeline with God.
• I’m sure all of our prayer lives could use a tune up now & then.
SO WHAT DO YOU PRAY FOR? WHO DO YOU PRAY FOR?
• Is there some ministry direction on your mind?
• Have issues at work that need spiritual attention?
• Are you praying for friends, family, neighbors, your boss?
• How about the world? Ever pray for different parts of the world?
I’m sure some of you are thinking right now… THE WORLD?
• I can barely handle the things in my home, in my family, let alone the world… or this city… or this state.
• But God has given you the world as a mission field!
• God loves the people on this planet, in every nation, every country, every language… north parts of cities, west parts, east parts, south parts… good reputations, bad reputations!
Revelation 5:9 [NKJV] And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
DO you pray often for your enemies?
• Those that hurt you, continue to defame you, those that take you down, trying to take you out!?
• Oh YES Pastor Ed, I pray for them alright. I go right through the Psalms and pray this…
Psalm 10:15 [NKJV] Break the arm of the wicked and the evil man; Seek out his wickedness until You find none.
Psalm 58:6 [NKJV] Break their teeth in their mouth, O God! Break out the fangs of the young lions, O Lord!
• Ahhhh… but Jesus said: Matthew 5.43-44
How about other churches in our city, in our area? Pray for them?
• I hope you do. God is doing so much in our city through so many God honoring, loving congregations!
• We’re not in competition with any other church.
• They are our brothers & sisters in the Lord!
• And we rejoice in His work in & among us! We pray for more!
Paul prayed for churches… & he prayed for the church in Rome!
I. (1:8-10) WITHOUT CEASING!
1. (8) I Thank God for you!
a. I guess Paul was from the south… You ALL?
b. He was so thankful because the faith of this church was spoken of all over the world!
c. He’s heard about these Roman Christians
d. It’s greatly encouraged Him!
e. They had a love for Jesus that was pure & powerful.