Summary: We can use our authority to pray with power. Prayer is one of the keys to the kingdom of God.
Title: Praying with Power
Text: Matthew 21:21-22
1. On the evening of Jan. 5, Adolf Merckle, Germany’s fifth-richest man (net worth 9.2 billion dollars), opened the door of his modest home in Germany and stepped out into the frigid air. The 74-year-old outdoorsman was keen on taking long walks to clear his head. But when he hadn’t returned home a few hours later, his family called the police. Instead of taking a walk that cold night, Merckle drove to the suburb, parked his car, and walked a few hundred yards to the train tracks. At 5:30 AM the conductor on an express train felt a bump and alerted authorities to investigate. Merckle’s mangled corpse was found two hours later. The note he left behind reportedly read, "I’m sorry."
2. Even if you are very rich or powerful, if you’re just trusting in yourself, sooner or later something will happen, and you will have nothing else to hold on to. It’s so sad when people look only to themselves to survive the challenges of this world. As believers in Christ, we have the privilege of connecting with the greatest and most powerful being in the entire universe – GOD! But it’s so sad when we don’t know how to use this powerful connection.
3. In Matthew 21:21-22, Jesus talks about our powerful connection with God which we can access through prayer. Nothing is impossible for us, according to Jesus, if we ask by faith. I call this “Praying with Power”.
4. Truth: Praying with power is the first key to using our God-given authority as citizens of the kingdom of God. When we do so, the kingdom of God will become a reality in our lives and in the lives of those God is allowing us to touch. Remember, WE CAN PRAY WITH POWER STARTING TODAY!
5. How do we pray with power? There are four steps.
a. We must log on.
b. We must specify our requests to God.
c. We must thank God for the answer.
d. We must speak out our faith.
1. We must log on.
a. If you are familiar with the internet, or even if you just use your ATM, you know you must log on before you can get into any network. Otherwise you don’t have any authority to use it.
b. This is also true when it comes to prayer.
1. We must log on using the right Username: Born-again Christian
2. We must log on using the right Password: By faith in Jesus Christ
d. At the same time, we can only ask God for anything in the name of His only begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ (John 16:24). Illus.
e. In other words, as a child of God we must approach the heavenly throne with confidence using the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This is the only way we can draw near to God in prayer or worship. (Heb 10:19-22)
f. Remember, WE CAN PRAY WITH POWER STARTING TODAY!
2. We must specify our requests to God.
a. A lot of people don’t experience the power of God because they pray in such general terms. Illus.
b. I think the reason behind this is fear – we’re afraid nothing will happen after we pray! So to avoid discouragement, we pray in general terms.