Summary: Preach the Word. We have all been called as ministers of the Gospel message.
Preach The Word!
1. A solemn charge was given by Paul to Timothy...
a. In view of the coming of the Lord and His judgment
- 2 Tim 4:1
b. Pertaining to preaching the Word of God - 2 Tim 4:2-4
2. It is a charge that should considered carefully by all...
a. By those who preach the Word, in response to the Great
Commission - Mark 16:15
b. By those who send and support those who preach - Rom 10:15
[Our text reveals that not all preaching is the same. There is that which pleases God, there is that which clearly displeases Him. With the words of Paul before us, let’s first examine...]
I. PREACHING THAT PLEASES GOD
A. PREACHING THAT IS EVER READY...
1. "Be ready in season and out of season" - 2 Tim 4:2
2. Preaching that reveals a degree of preparation; i.e.,
Study that shows...
a. One has given attention to reading, and to doctrine
- 1 Tim 4:13,16
b. One has been diligent in their learning - 2 Tim 2:15;
3. Preaching that is ready on all occasions
a. in season - "seasonably, opportunely; when the
b. out of season - "a minister is to seek opportunities
to preach the gospel even at such periods as might be
inconvenient to himself, or when there might be
hindrances and embarrassments, or when there was no
stated appointment for preaching."
B. PREACHING THAT CONVINCES...
1. "convince" - 2 Tim 4:2
2. "to use such arguments as would ’convince’ men of the
truth of religion, and of their own need of it."
3. As Paul did in the synagogues - Acts 17:2-3; 19:8
C. PREACHING THAT REBUKES...
1. "rebuke" - 2 Tim 4:2
2. "to admonish or charge sharply"
3. "chide for sin; some privately, others more publicly,
According to the nature and circumstances of the
offense; some more gently, others more roughly, as is
4. So Paul likewise charged Titus - Titus 2:15
D. PREACHING THAT EXHORTS...
1. "exhort" - 2 Tim 4:2
2. "to encourage and strengthen by consolation"
3. "as the ministers of the Gospel are in some cases to be
’Boanergeses’, sons of thunder, so other cases they
should be Barnabases, sons of consolation; and comfort
distressed minds, by preaching the comfortable doctrines
of peace, pardon, righteousness and salvation by Jesus
E. PREACHING THAT IS LONGSUFFERING...
1. "with all longsuffering" - 2 Tim 4:2
2. "patience, forbearance, longsuffering, slowness in
3. "with a patient and persevering spirit if you are
4. Shown toward both the faint-hearted and hardhearted –
1 Thess 5:14; 2 Tim 2:24-25
F. PREACHING THAT IS DOCTRINAL...
1. "and teaching" - 2 Tim 4:2
2. "that which is taught, doctrine, teaching, concerning
something; the act of teaching, instruction"
3. "in a way that is instructive and teaching, and in
Agreement with the doctrine of the Scriptures, which are
profitable for that purpose."
[Preaching that pleases God is "well-rounded": ready at all times, seeking to persuade, rebuking when necessary, yet with all longsuffering instructing others in the doctrine of the Lord. Contrast that with...]