Summary: Birth of Christ series (4 of 5).
THE BIRTH OF CHRIST
PREPARATION FOR HIS BIRTH
INTRO: We have been studying about the Birth of Christ for the past few
weeks. Today, we want to learn about the Preparation for His birth.
I. THE STORY LAID IN PALESTINE.
A. Micah’s prediction (Micah 5:2).
1. Micah picked out Nazareth.
2. Micah wasn’t guessing.
B. Palestine under Roman rule.
1. The taxation by Caesar.
2. God’s divine planning.
II. MARY’S ENGAGEMENT TO JOSEPH.
A. Mary’s unusual predicament.
1. Her reaction to Gabriel.
2. Her acceptance of God’s will.
B. Joseph’s action to protect her.
1. Matthew 1:19.
2. He wanted to put her away privately.
3. His acceptance of God’s will.
III. THE PLACE OF HIS BIRTH.
A. He was born in an Inn.
1. To parallel his short stay in the world—as in a Motel.
a. To teach us to do likewise.
b. An inn receives all comers.
(1) So does Christ.
(2) Free of cost.
2. There was no friend to accommodate Jesus’ mother.
a. She was in distress.
b. No bed available in the inn.
B. He was born in a stable—a place for cattle to be fed and
1. He was laid in a manger.
2. Shows his parents poverty.
a. Had they been rich, they could have had a room.
b. Being poor, they had to do the best they could.
3. Shows the corruption at that time.
a. Mary is treated barbarously for her condition.
b. If there had been any humanity, she would have had a room.
4. Shows Jesus’ humiliation.
a. As Moses in the Bulrushes.
b. Christ put contempt upon all worldly glory—to teach us to
CONC: Next week—HIS BIRTH!